Multiple posts reference a FILE option but it is not apparent in the web or mac versions

Options
Janfromearth
Janfromearth
Community Member

I am thinking about going back to Roboform. HELP says to access FILE>EXPORT but that option does not exist in the web version or the mac version. I suspect they have changed the menu path without changing the HELP support

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I cannot find the FILE option

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @Janfromearth!

In 1Password for Mac, the File > Export menu was not moved: here is a screenshot that shows you where you can find it in 1Password for Mac:

Note that you need 1Password for Mac installed for the feature, you cannot export data this way on the Web version.

• Janfromearth
    Janfromearth
    Community Member
    Options

Yep. That did it. Thank you. I was not running the desktop version. Maybe this is why I am not as happy with 1P as I thought I would be. Should this be running all the time? At startup? What does it do that the Chrome extension does not? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Janfromearth:

Should this be running all the time? At startup? What does it do that the Chrome extension does not?

That is up to you: I personally only launch it when I need to do something in the main 1Password app, otherwise I keep it closed and try to do everything from the browser extension.

What does it do that the Chrome extension does not?

It's simpler to manage items in the main desktop app in my opinion: I use it to create new entries, exporting and importing data, deleting items, selecting multiple items or moving items between vaults etc. Basically, whenever I need to do anything that is not filling credentials on websites, I use the desktop app.

This discussion has been closed.