1Password versions available or required

I started 1Password years ago, I am running ver 6.8.8 (688001), on Macbook Pro, which I believe is a stand alone version, please verify.
We are also running the Apple 1 Password App on two Ipads and two Iphones.
We just purchased a new Macbook Air, and when I look on the App Store there are two versions available, 1Password 7, and 1Password for Safari, and am requesting assistance to continue.
I recently read an article on limitation of standalone version versus a membership. Do I now need a membership?, and if so, how do I switch without losing my current 1Password data

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @pajacla!

1Password 7, and 1Password for Safari, and am requesting assistance to continue.

You can install 1Password 7, the Safari extension comes included with the app so you don't need to install it separately. You can also download and install directly from our website.

I recently read an article on limitation of standalone version versus a membership. Do I now need a membership?, and if so, how do I switch without losing my current 1Password data

Indeed, you require a Membership, but you can move all your existing data ;) Here are the instructions:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

• How do I verify that I have a stand alone version and If I do, is file data kept on my computer as well as my Sync to location, or just the Sync to location.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@pajacla

1Password always keeps a local cache of your encrypted data on your device, regardless of how you sync. If you have a vault called "Primary," and/or you are not paying a subscription fee, you're using 1Password standalone.

Ben

• I do have a vault called Primary, Do I need to switch to a subscription service, as I dont know if standalone versions are supported anymore.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@pajacla

Memberships are certainly the way forward. We are no longer selling standalone licenses.

1Password Support - About 1Password membership

• So, I no longer have the ability to decide which vaults I want to put on the Internet and which I deem too important to keep local? Really??? I do not like these "funnel-you-to-the-subscription-model" techniques regardless of how well they're "justified".

• So, I no longer have the ability to decide which vaults I want to put on the Internet and which I deem too important to keep local? Really??? I do not like these "funnel-you-to-the-subscription-model" techniques regardless of how well they're "justified". Data is secure...until it isn't. Losing choice is not a good thing.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Mork:

I would like to point you to this post from our founder Dave with details on standalone vaults. There are also some discussion points there, if you would like to also jump on the discussion over there :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file