Inconsistent implementation of Face ID on iOS & iPadOS

Options
Oliver_Saer
Oliver_Saer
Community Member

On iOS, if you have Face ID enabled, 1Password attempts to authenticate you via Face ID as soon as you open the app.

However, on iPadOS, you first must press a button with an icon resembling the Face ID icon before you can authenticate using Face ID.

This is an inconsistent implementation across the two platforms, with the latter requiring additional input before the specifically-configured (and therefore likely preferred) authentication method can be used.

Can this be requested as a change from the iPadOS development team?

1Password Version: 7.7.6
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iPadOS 14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Oliver_Saer!

After unlocking 1Password with Face ID on your iPad, the next time you unlock it should automatically do so via Face ID. Is this happening to you even after you manually selected the Face ID icon (in other words, not just the first time you unlock the app)?

• Oliver_Saer
    Oliver_Saer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

Thanks for clearing this up.

It is as you say where the first login of the session requires manual pressing on the 'Face ID' button, but subsequent launches automatically authenticate via Face ID.

I also checked and a similar functionality is found on the iOS app - however the inconsistency here is that the first login of the session on the iOS app only permits entry of the Master Password and does not give the option of using Face ID as it does on iPadOS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Oliver_Saer:

And for confirmation, are you seeing this right after a reboot of your iPad?

• Oliver_Saer
    Oliver_Saer
    Community Member
    Options

That's correct, and the same for the iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Oliver_Saer:

Let me reach out to the team and see if anyone has some suggestions ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Oliver_Saer:

I received a suggestion: if you open 1Password for iOS on each of your devices, and go to Settings > Advanced > Security, do you perhaps have different settings configured for the option Require Master Password?

This discussion has been closed.