1Password gets in the way (Mac)

Options

On Safari, went to this URL: https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2021/07/21074551/2021-NBA-Draft-Guide-1.pdf. Page requires a password to access the PDF. 1Password wouldn't let me just enter the password -- it insisted I unlock 1Password on my computer and save the password before I could enter it on the page and proceed. (There's no need for me to save this pw.)

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: 7.8.6
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @greenpig

I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior. When I opened the page I was able to type in the field just fine. Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari (Safari > Preferences > Extensions)?

I recorded a video showing my experience:

https://bucket.agilebits.com/ben/2021-07-22 14-11-40.mp4

Ben

• greenpig
    greenpig
    Community Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I guess I wasn't clear -- sorry! I was able to type in the form field without a problem, but I couldn't use Enter to submit it. Instead, 1Password popped up a box asking me to unlock the program to save the password, and I couldn't find a way to avoid that. I could make the box go away, but as soon as I hit Enter again it would reappear. Only after unlocking 1Password and saving the pw was I able to enter it on the page and proceed to the PDF itself.

Thanks, Erik

• @greenpig

Thank you for clarifying. I can see what you're saying, especially when you don't want 1Password to save the credentials here. There are a couple of ways you can get around this.

The first option, and the path of least resistance, is to quickly hit esc on your keyboard while the field is focused. This will minimize the inline menu that you're seeing and allow you to continue without intrusion from 1Password.

The other option is to disable the inline menu from displaying when a field is focused altogether. However this is a blanket setting that will affect any site you visit. If you wish to autofill using 1Password, you'll have to click the blue 1Password icon in the field to see suggestions. Let me know if you prefer this option and I'll be happy to share those steps instead.

• greenpig
    greenpig
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, the first option doesn't work. Hitting Esc makes the inline menu go away, and I can enter text into the field, but as soon as I hit Enter, a great big box appears on-screen: it says "1Password - Save Login" in the title bar, with a big lock image below and a field that says "Enter Your Master Password" in grayed text. If I hit Escape here, this pane goes away, but as soon as I hit Enter it pops up again. There's no way to proceed without saving the login, and I ultimately had to do that.

You can see what I see at

https://dropbox.com/s/ws6ezezf2j168do/1Password_save_login.png?dl=0

The appearance of this box seems to have nothing to do with the inline menu -- when I chose "Hide 1Password on this page," it showed up anyway when I hit Enter. It looks like a bug to me.

• @greenpig

Ahh, I see what you're saying now. To confirm, is theathletic.com listed in 1Password preferences in the domain exclusion list? You can verify as follows:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click the 1Password menu and choose Preferences.
    3. Under the Browsers tab, under "Autosave" make sure theathletic.com (exact format) is in the list sites you don't wish to have 1Password save.

If not, try adding it and let me know if you still get the same prompt.

This discussion has been closed.