[Solved] Help me understand the "archive" feature. I'm confused!

komrad
komrad
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Mac

I read the blog post about the new-ish archive feature, but I want to make sure I understand how it works.
Here is how I think it works ( which is wrong based upon my experimentation today ):
Say you have 2 Vaults
Personal
Work

If you select "archive" on an item from any vault, it goes in the common, or shared "Archive" folder.
So archived items from "Personal" or "Work" vaults are in the common "Archive" folder.

When I select an item in the "Archive" folder, I can either delete it permanently or restore it to one of my vaults. The application will prompt me as to which vault I wish to restore the item to. In my example, "Personal" or "Work".

If I select "delete", it permanently deletes the item, regardless of where the item is located. In my example, it could be in "Personal" , "Work" , or "Archive" vault/folders.

Is that how it works?

1Password Version: 7.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @komrad!

Yes, you got the process right :) Just one correction:

If you select "archive" on an item from any vault, it goes in the common, or shared "Archive" folder.
    So archived items from "Personal" or "Work" vaults are in the common "Archive" folder.

Each vaults has its own Archive, so everything is kept nice and separate ;) When you restore an item, it will go back directly to the original vault, you don't need to choose where to restore the item to.

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

Thank you for the clarification!

I’ve gotten all of my items in Trash restored and then moved out of my Archive vault , and finally Archived the ones that I want out of my way .

I’m not confident enough to delete the Archive(yes, that is what I named it) vault yet, but I’m mostly done.

A good tip that I got from another forum post is that is delete something on a Web-sync’d vault, you can undelete from the 1Password.com Website.

I don’t know how long deleted items are
    available, but that let me recover a few accidentally deleted items.

I going through hundreds of items moving ,
    deleting , archiving, and in many cases fixing the email address on the online on the account , and I deleted the wrong item a few times.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@komrad:

I don’t know how long deleted items are available, but that let me recover a few accidentally deleted items.

Unless I am remembering this wrong, it should be 365 days by default :+1:

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

Is there a way to mark this thread as solved? You solution worked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @komrad, I am glad to hear this :) I can update the title of the discussion for you to make it clear that it has been resolved.

This discussion has been closed.