New setup of 1P browser extension only seeing one account (and not the default)?

Options

Hi,

Recently I've been testing some chromium based browsers, and have setup Opera and Brave from scratch. In both instances, installing 1P extension from the chrome web store has yielded that only one account is imported. I have a personal family account (the default) and a work account. Both fresh installs only see the work account as fillable/searchable from the extension. Is there a way I can force the other to be imported? Is this a known behavior? Happy to provide more if someone will point me in a direction.

Cheers,
Mitch

1Password Version: 7.8.7-BETA0
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: macOS 11.5.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lwndow!

Have you signed into both accounts in the 1Password app and the 1Password extension? From what you are saying, I wonder if you have perhaps only signed into the Work account.

• lwndow
    lwndow
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ana,

I have both accounts signed-in on the app, and the extension grabs the accounts from the app (to my knowledge). I have a Firefox install and chrome installs that have grabbed both accounts from the app. I'm not signing in explicitly to the extension, I'm relying on the integration between the app and the extension to populate what it needs to. Should I be doing something differently, or have different expectations?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwndow:

Thank you for the confirmation! I think I know why this is happening: if the two accounts use two different passwords, then what you are seeing is expected behavior: unlike the 1Password for Mac app, the browser extension can only unlock the main account right away, unless all accounts use the same password.

If you want the browser extension to also unlock all accounts at the same time, after entering the password once, our recommendation is to use the same password in case you have multiple 1Password accounts. For more details about this, please see this post from my colleague Ben :+1:

• lwndow
    lwndow
    Community Member
    Options

This is an interesting point of view in Ben's post that I hadn't considered. Would there be a reason that it wouldn't add the main account and instead the secondary account in this instance? I'll keep the "should use the same password" in mind going forward. Not sure why my other browsers added both accounts (they've never shared the same password).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwndow:

Would there be a reason that it wouldn't add the main account and instead the secondary account in this instance?

In what order are the accounts added to the 1Password for Mac app? You can check it under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab. The reason I ask is because the way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

So it sounds like the work account might be the first account you added to the 1Password app.

Not sure why my other browsers added both accounts (they've never shared the same password).

I think it might have been because of the old browser extension: the new extension works a bit differently (the integration with the desktop app has been a recent addition), while the old browser extension connected directly to the 1Password app. My understanding is that the old extension relied on the desktop app to do a lot of things, including the unlocking.

• lwndow
    lwndow
    Community Member
    Options

So it sounds like the work account might be the first account you added to the 1Password app.

This is false in my case, the work account is always added second on any machine (including this one). Main account password is the one I use to unlock the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lwndow:

We can certainly take a closer look at your configuration if you wish. To do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

In addition to this, some logs from the browser extension will be useful.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.