How to move my (single user) legacy vault contents to a new vault on a families plan? (plus another)

ghobish
ghobish
Community Member

Several issues.

1. I've been using 1PW since version 4. My boss included me on his new Families plan, and I followed the instructions for importing my existing data (let's call this legacy vault "Primary") into a new vault under his plan (let's call this one "1PW7myname"). It didn't work, though I can save NEW passwords into the new vault. I've tried following the directions at the website but can't make it work. Please advise.

2. While I can access my old vault "Primary" on the Mac Finder Menu extension, inside Chrome the extension will ONLY suggest from my boss' main account, not from either my "Primary" nor the new "1PW7myname" vault. (To be clear, I DO have access to my boss 1PW account as his IT guy).

3. FWIW, In the 1PW application prefs> Sync tab, "Primary" is listed outside the main account, which contains 1PW7myname,

Thanks for the help!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8.6 (70806001)
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ghobish
    ghobish
    Community Member

E.G., when I go to Help> Tools> Migrate standalone vaults to account... it is not clear if my passwords will be moved to a new vault in my boss' account, or if they will be moved into my boss' vault, so I am uneasy about pulling that trigger.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2021

Hi @ghobish!

My boss included me on his new Families plan, and I followed the instructions for importing my existing data (let's call this legacy vault "Primary") into a new vault under his plan (let's call this one "1PW7myname").

Did you get your separate credentials when your boss invited you to the Families account, or are you using the same Secret Key and password (so accessing the same 1Password account, effectively)?

• ghobish
    ghobish
    Community Member

uh.. neither... I signed my computer onto my boss' account (as I said, I'm his IT... guess I assumed that the family plan worked like it did in 6). So then I'm guessing I should remove it from my computer and then send an invitation from the main account?

And thanks for responding.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ghobish:

So then I'm guessing I should remove it from my computer and then send an invitation from the main account?

I think this would be the best solution, so you can keep their information separate from yours. Once you have your own account, you can migrate your existing data inside your own Private vault, which is only accessible by you.

Add and remove family members

This discussion has been closed.