Use Suggested Password

Options
beno44
beno44
Community Member
edited August 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hey,

I'm sure this has been answered many times but cannot find the answer anywhere.

When I'm registering on a website I get a very helpful window with "Use Suggested Password". The only problem is this password is not saved in the clipboard or register the login in 1Password. This is super confusing and it would be so helpful if it would either save to the clipboard or even better register the login in 1Password.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Tks
Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @beno44!

Every password generated by the 1Password extension that you end up using is stored in the Generator History section of the extension ;) Here is a screenshot for you:

• beno44
    beno44
    Community Member
    Options

Tks ag_ana, don't seem to have this on my extension

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@beno44:

Thank you for the screenshot! I see that you are using the old classic extension instead of the new one from my screenshot. However, only the new extension has the "Use suggested password" popup, so is it possible you might actually have both installed?

If you could tell us what version of the extension you have installed in your browser, and what browser you are using, we can then send you the correct suggestion :+1:

• beno44
    beno44
    Community Member
    Options

Using Safari 14.1.2 and 1Password 7
    Version 7.8.6 (70806001)
    1Password Store

Not sure how to check the extension version.

I also have another issue, Chrome opens 1 password but it shows no passwords. Something not right there either ;o)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@beno44:

Thank you for the details!

Using Safari 14.1.2 and 1Password 7

The Safari extension of 1Password 7 indeed works a bit differently, so this explains the different: in this case, every password generated by the 1Password Safari extension will be saved inside 1Password itself, under the Passwords category :+1:

I also have another issue, Chrome opens 1 password but it shows no passwords. Something not right there either ;o)

Can you post a screenshot of the empty list that you see in Chrome?

• beno44
    beno44
    Community Member
    Options

Think I found the problem but not sure how to solve it. On my account I have a personal vault (which I don't use at all) as well as a "Primary" account that is shared via iCloud. The chrome extension sees my personal account but not my Primary account. Safari sees both.

Also re the Safari extension, I can't see where the "Password" category can be found

Tks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@beno44:

Think I found the problem but not sure how to solve it. On my account I have a personal vault (which I don't use at all) as well as a "Primary" account that is shared via iCloud. The chrome extension sees my personal account but not my Primary account. Safari sees both.

I think this is indeed the problem. If you have a Primary vault in your 1Password app, you will need to install the classic extension in Chrome:

Get the 1Password classic extension

It sounds like you are using the new 1Password in the browser extension in Chrome, which only sees vaults stored on 1Password.com (in this case, your Personal one). Since the Primary vault is stored outside of your 1Password account, you will need the classic extension to see that one too :+1:

Also re the Safari extension, I can't see where the "Password" category can be found

To do this in the extension itself, you can click on the "Suggestions" dropdown menu below the search field in the extension, and select the Passwords category:

You can also do this directly in the 1Password for Mac app, by clicking on the Passwords category in the sidebar of the app:

Use the sidebar in 1Password 7

• beno44
    beno44
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any logic keeping my vault on iCloud rather than on my personal one?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@beno44:

Our recommendation, if you have a 1Password.com account, is to just use the vaults in your 1Password account, and remove the ones stored in iCloud. This is so you don't have to deal with multiple sync methods and multiple vaults, and as you can see it also makes your life with the browser extension easier since everything is in one place :)

This documentation page shows you the process:

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

This discussion has been closed.