Chrome: "Your connection is not private" and "unable to save item" errors all of a sudden

Options

Been using the 1Password extension for Chrome both at home on my Mac and at work on Windows with absolutely no issues until today. All of a sudden when I clicked on the extension in Chrome, clicked on the + and again + to add a credit card, I received the following warning:

"Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal your information from my.1password.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)."

I've already restarted the browser, cleared all browsing data, and restarted the computer. The only difference now is instead of immediately getting that above message, the website tries to load for about 30 seconds now before it shows that message.

Also, when I was creating an account for the Support Community in order to post this thread, upon clicking "Save in 1 Password" after entering my user name, and then clicking "Save" on the pop-up window, I got an "unable to save item" error, which I've also never received before.

So what's going on? The Chrome extension on my Mac is still working fine. It's just in Chrome on Windows 10.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.0.5
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• @usagora

Can you try re-installing 1Password for Chrome and let me know if it improves your state of play?

1. Clear Chrome's cache again by following the instructions posted here.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon on Chrome's toolbar > Remove from Chrome.
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password from here > Close and Open Chrome > Try 1Password again.

Let me know how it goes!

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Followed your instructions exactly, but after re-installing the 1Password extension, I get the same message ("Your connection is not private") when attempting to log into my 1Password account to use the extension. Chrome Version 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (64-bit). Windows 10.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@usagora:

Can you please take a screenshot of what you see if you click on the little lock icon to the left of the URL bar in your Chrome browser? This is what I am referring to:

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Well, while the page is attempting to load, it appears normal:

But after about 30 seconds I get this (and the "Your connection is not private" message on the page):

When I click on the certificate, it shows this:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@usagora:

Is this happening on your home network or on your company network?

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Company network - but it's literally an office of one (me), so I know I haven't made any changes to the network and it had always worked before. Let me try installing FireFox and the 1Password extension for FireFox and seeing if I have the same issues, so we can know if it's a Chrome problem or something else. I'll let you know here soon.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

The certificate is issued to "*.outsystemsenterprise.com", but you requested my.1password.com, so there is some middleware intercepting your secured connection. Some company middleware are breaking TLS connections this way to control outgoing data flow, but this thwarts end-to-end security. There is no way to detect if this man-in-the-middle sniffing is a legitimate company monitoring or a hacking attack from a criminal, so 1Password rejects such connections.

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @ag_chantelle

Everything works fine on Firefox on the same computer (Windows 10) but still not on Chrome. So it appears it's an issue with Chrome, not the extension or the network. And the issue is your website itself (my.1password.com) not opening normally on Chrome in order to sign in to the extension or to make edits to items. I sure hope this is resolved very quickly because I do NOT want to switch browsers, and I feel unsafe logging into 1Password on Chrome with that message it displays, so I'm not able to use 1Password currently without having to open another browser (FireFox) to copy/paste passwords from the extension.

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @ag_chantelle

Also wanted to let you know I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Chrome just now, but it's still not working. I get the same error as shown in my OP. But this time I clicked on the "Advanced" button and took a screenshot of the entire thing in case this helps you guys resolve the issue. I'm trying to insert the image here, but NOW the insert image button isn't working! It's "hidden" behind this text area and I can't see the options to click on. The insert link button doesn't do that. So strange! I've taken a screenshot of this too. Happens in both Chrome and Firefox

Here is a link to both screenshots, since I'm not able to insert the images in this post:

Chrome Error (Screenshot)

1Password Support Community Insert Image Window Hidden (Screenshot)

• @usagora

It looks like something odd is happening with Chrome, causing it to pull the wrong IP address, and attempt to connect to an OutSystems server. The fact that it works in Firefox makes it a bit more challenging to pin down where the bad IP address is coming from. If you try on a new Chrome profile with only 1Password installed, does the issue persist?

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Doesn't work still. But I've just made a VERY interesting discovery. When connected via wi-fi to my local network here at work, both Safari for iOS and Chrome for iOS on my iPhone will NOT connect to my.1password.com (same error message: "could not establish a secure connection to the server"), but they both WILL connect to my.1password.com if I disable wi-fi and use the cellular data network instead. I also have a MacBook with me and neither Safari nor Chrome on it will connect to your website unless I switch from wi-fi to tethering (to my iPhone). But just like on Windows, Firefox for macOS connects fine to your website even when my MacBook is on wi-fi.

Also just tried Edge on my Windows 10 desktop here and it can't connect to your website either over wi-fi. ONLY Firefox works. Very, very strange. I wonder what's different "under the hood" in Firefox that makes our network a non-issue for it whereas it's a problem for 3 other major browsers.

Also tried turning off Safe Browsing in Chrome, but it still won't connect to your website.

I'm going to call the guy who set up our network and see if he has any clue why this would be happening. EDIT: He verified he hasn't made any remote changes and he also doesn't understand why this would be happening.

• @usagora

Great sleuthing! Indeed, it seems like your network could be playing a factor here. Let us know what you find after consulting with your network administrator. We'll be here to help if you require further guidance.

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

One more thing. I didn't have Firefox for iOS installed on my iPhone, so I installed it just now and--unlike the desktop versions--it will NOT connect to my.1password.com when my phone is connected to my work's network (I get "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made").

Also, I never clarified this before, but my work desktop is connected via ethernet, so this is not a wi-fi vs. ethernet issue.

I'm going to start a thread on another tech forum that I post on regularly to see if some knowledgeable people there might have suggestions of something I can change on our network to resolve this issue. Our network admin says he hasn't made any changes to our network, so he's not sure what could be causing this issue all of a sudden.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@usagora – Interesting! It's good to see some consistency, I suppose. I'm also curious why it'd happen suddenly if your network admin hasn't made any changes. 🤔

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn

All consistent except for Firefox (why does Firefox for macOS or Windows connect to my.1password.com when I'm on our network when Chrome, Edge, and Safari don't?). The thread I started in another forum has received no helpful replies, so I plan to contact our ISP on Tuesday (I'm out of the office on Mondays). I will definitely report back their findings.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @usagora .
    Do keep us posted for the sake of anyone else who might encounter this issue and find this discussion here.

• usagora
    usagora
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron @ag_chantelle I've been using Firefox for the last few months due to this issue, but I just tried reaching my.1password.com again in Chrome, and it is now working again! The certificate is now listing the correct domain (1password.com) instead of that other domain. I still don't understand why this would only happen in Chrome on one network but not any others, but the issue appears to be resolved now.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update @usagora !
    I'm glad to hear all is well now :)

This discussion has been closed.