Looking to buy a 1Password 7 standalone (non-subscription) licence/ugprade

kiezprokiezpro Junior Member

As I'm ready to buy a new M1 Mac, I'd like to upgrade my existing licence for 1PW 6 (Mac) to 1PW 7. I know all about the benefits of a subscription, but I'd still like to buy the old, regular standalone licence. It seems like this isn't possible any more, but I'm not ready to give up hope just yet.
So - where/how can I buy a non-subscription upgrade?
Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @kiezpro!

Standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid, sorry. To upgrade your 1Password app to version 7 or 8, you will need a Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all the details :+1:

• kiezprokiezpro Junior Member

Hi ag_ana,

Thank you for confirming! As I don't want to subscribe, I'll get in line with all the other users looking for an alternative. It's been a great 9 years with 1Password! 👋

• @kiezpro

Did you download 1Password 7 from Agilebits website? Normally you should be prompted to purchase a license. This is what I did.

However, version 8 won't allow it. 😡
    So I downloaded Bitwarden and started the migration from 1Password.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Thanks, @kiezpro and @Bruno92 -- stay safe out there, and we'll be here if you decide to come back and have a look at some point in the future. :)

@Bruno92 - I did try that, but 1PW 7 doesn't prompt like that any more. I assume this is b/c 1PW has now completed the switch to a subscription-only model.
    The 1PW 7 trial installer not only replaced my existing 1PW 6 installation without asking, it also broke something along the way so that it took me the better part of two hours to fix my re-installed 1PW 6 🤷

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@kiezpro - I'm sorry to hear that. The 1Password 7 for Mac installer needs to install a version that's quite different from 1Password 6 for Mac, which is why it zipped up the older version. If you're still having troubles, please write into the support team at [email protected] and we'll get you sorted out, on either version 6 or 7. The only thing you can't do at this point - after three years of selling them - is buy a license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

I'm good, I did get it fixed, thank you. The zipped up 1PW 6 was mentioned in a few articles, but for some reason it wasn't there after installing V7, so I re-installed it from the installer. The app said that it couldn't connect to 1PW mini, and I couldn't figure out why, as it was running.

find ~/Library -iname '*1password*' -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

(after backing up the same set of files) did fix it for me. Fortunately, my data lives in iCloud, so I lost only a few prefs.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@kiezpro - glad you got it sorted out! Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with. :)

• @kiezpro Happy you made it!

@Lars Like many other users I was a happy customer since 1P3 and I bought all upgrade licenses till 1P7.
    However I disagree with the subscription model which finally costs much more for the end users.
    For instance a subscription model for 1P7 will cost $144 for 4 years (2018-2021) while I paid $49 for my upgrade license, or only $69 for someone who paid for a new license.

Maybe it is good for Apple that brought that business model to their store (they are so greedy), but I just hate it because you can't own anymore what you paid for.
    It might be OK for punctual use of a software or some like Adobe that are mainly used by professional people, but not for regular users.

You lost me and my entourage for good, sorry.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Bruno92 - I appreciate your perspective, but with respect, none of us "owns" software, ever, unless we are the developers. There are simply different ways of licensing its use. Standalone licensing is one - and clearly the one you prefer. But subscriptions are just another model, with advantages and disadvantages. If you've thought through all of those and found yourself on the side of having standalone license purchasing being a must-have for you, then there probably isn't much we can say here that will change things, since we've made our decision and it sounds as if you've made yours. So I will simply thank you sincerely for being with us for as long as you have been, and wish you well in your search for alternatives.

For the benefit of others reading, the issue with pricing Bruno92 mentions is very much one of individual situation. If one is a single user who only uses 1Password on one platform, then the license model is arguably less expensive over time (though it does depend a bit on the frequency of new versions. However, if you need licenses for both Windows and Mac - or for iOS and/or Android as well, which most people will do - the picture gets murkier. And if you've got family members who all want/need to use 1Password along with you (each with their array of different devices), then 1Password Families decidedly tips the playing field in favor of 1password.com membership, even if looking only at the cost. $65 per person, per platform for licenses for three or four people adds up very quickly, while a 1Password Families membership is a fantastic bargain in comparison at $58.99/yr for up to five people, able to use 1Password on any device for which we have an app at no extra charge, plus all the benefits of 1password membership that we can only offer with 1password.com accounts.

• I have also been a 1Password user for more than 10 years. What you forgot in your great plan is that there are users who, on principle, will not take out a subscription for software, no matter how much it is discounted. In addition, there are users who, on principle, would NEVER put their data safes in the cloud. I belong to both of these categories. Back 10 years ago, there weren't any good alternatives to 1Password. But that has changed. 1Password, it was a nice time BUT unfortunately I have to go under these conditions.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member
    edited August 26

Sorry to hear this @GOODRIDDANCE_1Pass :( I wanted however to thank you for all of these years together. As Lars said above, please stay safe online, and should you change your mind at any time in the future, we would love to have you back as part of the community.

• @Lars

Not true. There is a tool we use in my line of work, TCO (Total Cost of Ownership), to elaborate financial scenarii for clients regarding the adoption of a new software / ERP... So it was easy to check the real cost of both of your pricing model. No one needs a Ph.D to do that. You should also take into account in your model all customers before 1P7 and the new ones who don't have any more choice, so sure they wont complain.

I use 1Password on 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 1 computer and my way is cheaper than what you suggest.
    Also, Bruno isn't an exception and he doesn't consider himself as unique, which will be a sign of arrogance.

Some honesty and transparency from 1Password would be more appreciated, because 1Password team feedback are just words with no facts based.

Biwarden is doing today a very good job today. So good bye for real because I won't come back.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited September 12

Again, for other readers of this thread, "2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 1 computer" is the equivalent of one computer for one person. Why? Because we no longer charge for 1Password 7 for iOS...but it can also not be used to create a standalone vault, only used with a 1password.com membership. The only thing being paid for in such a scenario is the 1Password 7 for Mac license, for a single user. But add a Windows machine into the mix, or family members who would also like to use 1Password (and who would each need licenses themselves), and the picture looks very different.

And for @Bruno92 - stay safe out there. We wish you well and we'll be here should you decide to return. :)

• Since when are you working for Agilebits? I also had to pay for iOS license, it wasn't free.

Your exemple may also exist, but from where I stand there no facts that say it is representative of 1P users.
    If Agilebits postponed it's exclusive subscription model because of people dissatisfaction I guess I was far from being a unique. That just illustrates my point and whatever you might say those are facts.

Today you are just enforcing you new pricing model, because you think you are unique and indispensable. Guess what, you are not.

As I said more honesty the better. Copying Apple arrogance isn't a good way to go.

• Seems to be free since 16-Sep-2014?

https://appsliced.co/app?n=1password-15429&l=list

I also paid a long time ago for the iOS, macOS, and Windows Apps, but I remember the change (iOS becoming free) Lars mentioned (and I'm a subscriber now).

• Bruno92Bruno92
    edited September 13

Again honesty and transparency are the key words when telling all the truth and not half of it to suit your arguments.

1Password Introduces individual subscriptions model in 2016 for macOS.
    iOS was free to download and to use with very limited functions and numbers of password you could save. To use it fully you still had to pay $9.99 in app purchase for the Pro version.

Gents please give all the facts!

NB:
    I was a proud user since 2007 of 1P and I have been spending money on upgrades ever since. I use the program as I did on day one, to generate strong passwords, store them locally, and use them when needed. I don't use any other feature especially not Cloud functionalities. Being in Europe my data remains in Switzerland and nowhere else (Cf. Cloud and Patriot Act).

So the subscription model, the cloud location issue and the new electron app, seriously? Just a NO GO for me.

NB:
    https://1password.community/discussion/121554/why-can-we-not-have-an-explicit-statement-about-1password-being-a-subscription-only-service/p3

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thank you for adding the additional context and background details here, @Bruno92.

iOS was free to download and to use with very limited functions and numbers of password you could save. To use it fully you still had to pay $9.99 in app purchase for the Pro version.

There was a time when that was true. For the past 2 years at least (July '19, v7.3.3) 1Password 7 for iOS has been a free companion app for those with a licensed copy of 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows (no additional purchase necessary for any features).

At the end of the day licensing and standalone vaults will not be part of 1Password going forward. I wish we could've come up with a solution that would've made everyone happy, but with entirely incongruent desires that seems impossible. Continuing licenses and standalone vaults as they were is a non-starter. We are gathering input on whether a self-hosted instance of 1Password.com would be a viable solution. If you'd like you can provide feedback on that through this survey:

Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

Being in Europe my data remains in Switzerland and nowhere else

For what it's worth we do offer 1Password in Europe through our https://1password.eu instance. This instance lives in Germany.

1Password in your region

I hope that helps!

Ben

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Bruno92 - since 2014. :) Ben's said pretty much everything else that needs to be said.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Thank you for sharing that link @Bruno92! We are discussing this topic in this forum discussion, if you would like to contribute to the conversation :+1:

• Way back in April 2020 I was looking into buying 1Password for myself and my wife. I inquired about buying the standalone license since the subscription model is almost always more expensive for individual users (often the subscription model is a better choice for businesses and other professionals who always need the most current versions).

Those here bemoaning the loss of the standalone license, just remember that this is a business and they made a financial decision. They don't care about customer satisfaction as much as investor satisfaction. They made a financial choice figuring that any losses from losing customers would be more than offset by the additional revenue from the higher subscription costs.

Another reason businesses like the subscription models is they can show inventors that they have a reliable monthly income from customers. They don't have this benefit with sales of the standalone licenses. Just another financial reason for this decision

I don't know exactly when 1Password made this change but it's sometime between April 2020, when they last told me I could buy a standalone license, and August 2021, when this thread was started.

Funny timing considering that they raised an additional $100 million of additional funding in July of 2021. It makes sense that those who invested want a return on their money and this decision is one way of increasing revenue.

Back in 2020 I looked at all of the password manager options and 1Password seemed to be the best solution for me. With the change in licensing options I will need to take another look at the options out there.

It's all a big trade-off of features and cost.

With my simple needs, there's a good chance I could end up with some other solution. But, to be fair, even with the needlessly higher cost, 1Password may still be the best option for me.

But, even if 1Password should go back to selling the standalone licenses due to customer pressure, we all now know that they could again stop selling it. We would all have to again examine all of the options out there and decide to switch (and the associated efforts to move to a different solution) or hold our nose and stick with them.

Does anyone want to have this hanging over their heads? Knowing that each year as our OS's are updated that we may have to once again go shopping for a new password manager?

I don't know what solution I'll eventually choose but this certainly is a large mark against 1Password and makes it less likely that I would choose them for my needs.

Larry.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @lschwarcz! A few thoughts about your post:

Way back in April 2020 I was looking into buying 1Password for myself and my wife. I inquired about buying the standalone license since the subscription model is almost always more expensive for individual users...

Some quick math: the entire time we were selling standalone licenses for 1Password, they were sold per-person and per-version. That means if you were looking at 1Password for yourself and your wife, then you would have needed to buy not one, but TWO licenses. At $49.99 each, that's just under $100. Licenses are good for all in-version updates (like from 6.3 to 6.4, etc), but when a new full version is released (like from 6.x to 7.0), there's a charge for the new full version. And if you had a license for 1Password for Mac and needed to start using 1Password for Windows, that was a separate purchase. By contrast, a 1Password Families membership gives up to 5 people access to all of our native applications, including all upgrades to new versions, included in the cost of membership, for $4.99/mo when paid annually ($59.88/year). So, especially if you have other family members, such as older children or perhaps parents, the cost of a 1Password Families membership in particular is considerably more economical than trying to remember to maintain standalone licenses and upgrades among even a couple of people, let alone four or five.

They don't care about customer satisfaction as much as investor satisfaction. They made a financial choice figuring that any losses from losing customers would be more than offset by the additional revenue from the higher subscription costs.

I appreciate that this might appear to be the case, but it just isn't. What we did do is realize how limiting for both us and our users the standalone license model had been. There were a few advantages to it, but many more drawbacks, chief among them: when new purchases are expected only whenever a new full version is released, developers tend to hoard new features in wait for the next upcoming new version, in order to have the best chance of showing enough additional value in a new release that users will buy the new version, instead of being able to bring new advancements through the development cycle when they're ready to go. Under the "must entice buyers" approach of loading perceived value into the new upgrade version, here's also a tendency for designers to focus on eye-catching UI changes that will show off how "new" a full-version upgrade is, rather than concentrating on under-the-hood changes that are much more valuable but which don't give any outward appearance of change.

• jack.plattenjack.platten

Team Member

Hi @lschwarcz,

Lars touched on a lot of what I was going to mention, but here's some additional thoughts on what you've brought up.

While yes it's absolutely true that we do have outside investors now, it's not quite as cut and dry as that. If customers aren't thrilled with our product and decide to leave, then our investors aren't thrilled by that either. We're just as committed as ever to offering a service people want to use, and adding innovative features (to name a few: Psst!, our new password sharing tool is something I've really been enjoying lately, along with 1Password for Safari on iOS, our fully featured 1Password experience now in Safari on your iPhone or iPad) that help us stay ahead of the competition.

With recurring subscriptions, we gain steady, reliable, and forecastable income. Having this helps us onboard and retain talent by offering competitive compensation. We want to be able to attract the best and the brightest, and in order to do so, we have to be able to offer compensation in line with their expectations.

Just to help provide a bit of context around this, our founder Dave Teare wrote a post titled Why We Love 1Password Memberships back in 2017. The biggest take away Dave had from 1Password memberships, was his No More list:

• No More telling people that had syncing misconfigured or had not realized it needed to be manually configured, that we're sorry but they had lost all their data when they reset their phone
    • No More telling people that when they deleted files they didn't recognize from their hard drive, they had inadvertently deleted all their data
    • No More being unable to troubleshoot sync issues as we didn't control the sync service
    • No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn't unlock it on all other platforms
    • No More holding back on features so that they could launch with a major version to justify a license upgrade

We gave our customers the choice between memberships and standalone, and they overwhelmingly chose memberships. Given all of this, I do hope you can see that this move wasn't driven by financial reasons, but our love of offering the best possible product we can.

Jack

• Hi @Lars and @jack.platten,

Thank you for your detailed replies.

@Lars, your pricing example makes two incorrect assumptions; that I would be buying two licenses and that I would always upgrade to the most current version.

For my situation my wife and I would only need one vault sharing the passwords and I’m the type who only updates to a new major release if there’s some new feature that I need or want.

I know that it’s OK for us to share the one license since I explicitly asked this question back in 2020:

Do I need to buy just one license for my wife and I to use it or do I need one license for each of us?
    You could buy one license for both of you, but it would be the exact same account between the two. Nothing will be private as it would be the same account being shared between two people. If you want each one of you to have your own private account, then two licenses would be the ideal.

And unless there’s some major feature that I need or really want I would almost certainly stick with the current version.

With this information the numbers change to $100 one-time cost (Windows and Mac licenses) Vs. $60/year for the subscription plan. It’s easy to see that after just two years the stand-alone is a far better option for me.

…when new purchases are expected only whenever a new full version is released, developers tend to hoard new features in wait for the next upcoming new version, in order to have the best chance of showing enough additional value in a new release that users will buy the new version, instead of being able to bring new advancements through the development cycle when they're ready to go.

Exactly! By forcing all of your customers to get the subscription plan, you are focusing more on the investors than on the customers! Not that I can fault you for this. After all, you are a business. And, for every business that has investors (private or public via stocks), the job of every employee is to maximize investor wealth. That’s why they invested (Business 101). Of course, how you do this and in what timeframe can vary from business to business. Could you have done this while still offering stand-alone licenses? I don’t know. So, thank you for confirming exactly what I said. You made a business decision based on what you felt would be best for the investors, not the customers.

While this decision may not impact many customers and for many the subscription plan is a better option, there are still many of us that would be better off with the stand-alone license.

@jack.platten, “If customers aren't thrilled with our product and decide to leave, then our investors aren't thrilled by that either.”

Yes, I touched on this when I wrote, “They made a financial choice figuring that any losses from losing customers would be more than offset by the additional revenue from the higher subscription costs.”

And the rest of your reply is essentially giving more information confirming what I said, that you made a business decision and that those who switched to another password manager did not have a large enough financial impact when compared to the additional regular revenue stream from new subscriptions.

Like I said, I can’t say that this was a mistake for you to drop the stand-alone licensing, just that it’s not all roses and candy. There are those like myself who were going to buy it but now will reexamine my options. In the end, I may still end up with 1Password.

Don’t forget that until this week, I was going to buy 1Password, now I’m starting from scratch. This means you had me as a customer but now you may not. As one person, this isn’t much. But, when you look at all of the potential customers out there, this can add up!

• Acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer.
    • Increasing customer retention by 5% can increase profits from 25-95%.
    • The success rate of selling to a customer you already have is 60-70%, while the success rate of selling to a new customer is 5-20%.
    • One customer experience agency found loyal customers are 5x as likely to repurchase, 5x as likely to forgive, 4x as likely to refer, and 7x as likely to try a new offering.
    • U.S. companies lose $136.8 billion per year due to avoidable consumer switching.
    • American Express found 33% of customers will consider switching companies after just one instance of poor customer service.
      https://www.outboundengine.com/blog/customer-retention-marketing-vs-customer-acquisition-marketing/

Thanks to both of you for your replies! Time for me to start investigating all of my password manager options again (UGH!).

Larry.

• You'll own nothing and be happy

• For anyone who reads this -** FIND ANOTHER PRODUCT**

If you're not convinced:

• Your passwords are your most valuable digital asset (next to your family photos, personal documents, digital currency, etc)
    • They should be stored in a place you know is secure
    • There should be no middle man or service between you and your passwords
    • There are security breaches every day on major platforms - its only a matter of time until 1Password's services and your data is compromised

No matter what 1Password tells you ("we secure your data...", "all traffic and data is encrypted..."), it only takes 1 exploit, 1 disgruntled employee, 1 misconfiguration to have your passwords leaked.

In an effort to nickel and dime their customers, 1Password has compromised on security.

GIVE US BACK THE STANDALONE OPTION - we do not want your subscription service.

• Hi @jessewebdotcom,

We absolutely agree that your passwords are your most valuable digital asset, and that's why we work so hard to keep them safe. With the addition of the Secret Key which is only known to you, your data on our servers is only decryptable by you. We regularly undergo security audits as well.

One of our founders, Dave Teare posted this not too long ago about why we decided to move to a membership only model with 1Password 8: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

If you haven't already taken our self-hosted 1Password survey, please take it so we can best understand your specific use case: https://survey.1password.com/self-host/

Jack

• Thanks for the quick reply and survey (I will fill out).

Why do I (and others) want self-hosted? There's been WAY too many instances of security breaches and service disruptions/outages over the past few years. There have also been way too many companies changing their service offerings - like what you did with this product, what Amazon did with their unlimited storage, what Google did with their photos, what Wink and IRIS did with their home automation platforms, etc.

Then there's the cost (enough said about that - just scroll up and see the comments of others).

I am just one of a strong community that chooses to self-host. While I appreciate the survey, it's sad that's come down to a survey. And it may be too late - as your customers turn to find other self-hosted solutions like VaultWarden and KeyChain.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@jessewebdotcom - not entirely sure I understand, or maybe we're talking about different things? If what you want is standalone vaults, then yes, we’ve made our decision on that. If what you want is a self-hosted version of your password manager's sync service, then definitely take a moment to fill out the survey and stay tuned. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file