Looking to buy a 1Password 7 standalone (non-subscription) licence/ugprade

2»

Comments

• I switched to VaultWarden (formerly BitWarden_rs) and I expect most users who self-host to do the same or choose something similar.

Whether I’m running a self-hosted server or have stand alone vaults, the result is the same - I don’t require a middle man subscription service with all its risks and costs.

Finding, setting up, and switching to another solution only took me a few hours - it’s too bad as I have been a longtime 1Password customer (switching from eWallet) and now you’ve lost me and soon my little circle (and hopefully anybody in the same position who reads this or the many other posts on the internet griping about your “decision”).

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@jessewebdotcom - thanks for the clarification. Stay safe out there. :)

• J.MJ.M
    edited November 13

About self-host as it has been mentioned here (mostly Bitwarden). Hosting yourself is not "costless" as some seem to imply in popular places. You have to manage and secure your server, monitor it regularly. It takes a decent amount of time. Not everyone knows how to really secure a server or is willing to put some effort into it.

At the moment with Bitwarden solutions, if your server goes offline while you're away and you can't reboot it, all your Bitwarden clients will be read-only, impossible to save a new password or login.

Bitwarden is a very basic solution until they implement a few things : more categories, tags, offline saving among other things...This is coming from someone who paid for premium even though I don't use it.

Thanks for mentioning that 1Password survey, gave my feedback there.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@J.M - you're quite right, there is always a cost associated with maintaining one's own infrastructure, and not just a monetary cost. We've had requests to allow this - mostly from companies that have strict internal rules about only self-hosted versions of things - ever since we began offering 1Password accounts. Thanks for filling out the survey; we're taking the temperature of just how much appetite there is out there for such a thing in the personal space as well as the organizational space. I can't say exactly where we're going to land with regard to it, but we'll keep everyone posted.

• As standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid to say good bye. I NEVER would pay monthly a subscription. Good bye and thanks for the past 8 years.

Regards, Vincent

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@joshivince - thanks for being with us for the past eight years, Vincent! Stay safe out there and we'll be here if you decide to come back. :)

• I have been with 1password 7 years, and i am saying good bye too, greediness destroying this world. they don't care how long you been with them . The only matters is money.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

I am sorry to hear you are leaving us @drvahe, but thank you for your honest feedback and for being a great customer for so long! I hope that you will find something else that works for you. We are always here should you ever change your mind in the future :)

• I agree with a lot of what @lschwarcz has said. I understand that the monthly subscription model is good for families and businesses, but it doesn't make financial sense for single people on a limited number of devices. Maybe that puts me in the minority and the company can't afford to support that use case any longer.

But putting pricing aside, the subscription model is absolutely geared toward investors and not customers. An Agilebits employee admitted as much in a previous post in this thread. Subscriptions allow companies to show regular, reliable income to their investors.

So many different companies are moving in the direction of subscriptions, but I will continue to fight tooth and nail against it. It's true that we the customers never actually "own" software, as an Agilebits employee mentioned here, but with a license at least we can continue using most software without paying every single month. There are too many subscriptions in the world today. If we continue down this path, we will be paying a monthly fee to use every different feature on our devices/computers. How long until operating systems require a subscription?

I wish Agilebits would follow Adobe and Microsoft's example: offer a subscription model for families and businesses but also offer single licenses for people who prefer that or only use 1Password on one device. Putting customers first means giving them options so that they can choose the one that fits their needs.

• Another long time user and supporter of 1Password heartbroken by this decision.
    Time to see what else is out there for managing passwords.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @tcatsninfan! Thanks for creating an account here and sharing your thoughts. :)

I think you're correct that for single people on a limited number of devices, the most-recent iteration of the standalone license model still made as much or more sense in the strictly financial sense of the word. It varies by individual situation, of course, but math is math, and if you're a solo user, a standalone license is arguably as cost-effective as a 1password.com membership. I did have a couple of thoughts while reading this, however:

But putting pricing aside, the subscription model is absolutely geared toward investors and not customers. An Agilebits employee admitted as much in a previous post in this thread. Subscriptions allow companies to show regular, reliable income to their investors.

I'm not sure "admitted" is the right word, as it's not something we disagree with or were trying to hide. ;) I think it's definitely fair to observe (as you just did and my colleague jack.platten also did earlier in this thread) that a predictable, reliable revenue stream is of value to investors. That said, the initial code for what became the 1password.com server backend was written in 2014 and 2015, and the first public beta offering (1Password (for) Teams) was made generally available in November 2015, almost exactly six years ago. By contrast, our first outside investment was around this time two years ago, in November 2019. In other words, we had no investors to satisfy for multiple years after we made the decision to offer 1password.com accounts on a subscription basis.

In fact, I would suggest that it was exactly the reverse: our creation of a robust, multi-user, scalable solution that added on to and surpassed our existing products for individuals attracted the notice (and yes, eventually the buy-in) of investors, rather than it being a case of: we had investors to satisfy, so we switched to a "subscription (only) model." We began work on 1password.com way back in 2014 because we knew there was a large group of features we could only offer if we wrote the server code as well as the on-device app code. As much as the sync solutions of Apple and Dropbox were instrumental in 1Password's evolution in their time, those services are designed to sync a wide variety of files, and they are not tailored for your 1Password data. 1password.com accounts are.

However, if someone is simply opposed to subscriptions, none of the above really matters even though it is accurate. If the direction we've chosen isn't for you, we get it, and we wish you well. I'm happy to pass along your thoughts about reinstating standalone licenses, but I understand if you feel you need to look into other options. Stay safe out there.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@nicktech - understood -- good luck in your search, and thanks for having been a 1Password user. :)

• Piss poor decision, especially since I was about to buy another v7 license for another laptop. Hello KeePassXC; goodbye 1Cloudword...enioy your digital serfdom the rest of you!

• (I'll try not to laugh too hard when I read about the inevitable outage/breach/exploit)
    A standalone license doesn't require anyone to run a server, and so many people seem to think you need one, but standalone vault has worked fine here for years, going way back to 1Password in the old macOS bundles where I first learned of it. For those of us just looking for a digital version of the old school post-it/notebook (paper - remeber that stuff?!) solution, all of these cloud, subscription and unnecessarily feature-bloated solutions are useless anyway.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @Former_Customer! Glad you created a 1password.community account. Since you're new, a gentle reminder - or maybe you're seeing these for the first time: our Forum Rules & Reminders include keeping the language family-friendly in here. We'd appreciate your cooperation. Thanks!

I was about to buy another v7 license for another laptop.

Good news for you, in that case - licenses are not sold per-device, but per-platform. Assuming you weren't talking about adding a Mac or Windows computer where you hadn't had one previously, there is no additional charge: a 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows license can be used on as many of that type of device as you own/use. Hope that's helpful, and thanks again for dropping by. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file