Is 1Password for iOS also losing dropbox sync like the desktop apps?

agrifoni83
agrifoni83
Community Member

Is 1Password for iOS also losing dropbox sync like the desktop apps?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @agrifoni83

Standalone vaults and 3rd party sync solutions will not be part of 1Password going forward, regardless of platform. One of our founders, Dave, wrote about this here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

Ben

• bryan432
    bryan432
    Community Member

I use both the cloud vaults and a security/privacy-sensitive local vault. If/When this feature is removed I absolutely will cancel my Family plan as it is ANTI-security and ANTI-privacy.

• @bryan432

it is ANTI-security and ANTI-privacy.

I respectfully disagree on that point. The 1Password service has been built in such a way that even 1Password employees with the highest levels of access cannot learn the contents (or even the names of) your vaults.

1Password 8 will not include local vaults. As Dave mentioned in his post, we've pushed that technology as far as it could go, and we're moving on to bigger and better.

Ben

• bryan432
    bryan432
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

@Ben I would gladly pay more to have an on-site (unix) version that I know is entirely in my control. I mean a local cloud version which simplifies maintenance for you.

• @bryan432

Dave is conducting a survey on exactly that subject. If it is something you're interested in I'd encourage you to fill out the survey.

Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

which simplifies maintenance for you.

I'm not sure I agree on that point either. 😬 My biggest hesitation, personally, about us potentially offering this is the customer / technical support burden it will bring. We'll see. :)

Ben

• bryan432
    bryan432
    Community Member

@Ben Just factor the potential cost into the service fee or require a separate support subscription. Shrug. I commend you for staying calm with angry customers :)

• Just factor the potential cost into the service fee or require a separate support subscription. Shrug.

Indeed; I would hope/imagine that is being considered. 👍️

I commend you for staying calm with angry customers :)

Thank you for saying so. 🥰

Ben

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member

@Ben In Dave’s answer you linked, I noticed he said “ 1Password 7 will not be changing and can continue to be used with all currently available sync methods” which of course turned out to not be true. What was the calculus within the company as to why you ended that early? I’ve read various reasons, but they all seem to suggest that it was just an afterthought that nobody thought would be a big deal. But seeing that Dave specifically said that it “will not be changing” until 8, which means that you guys were aware of what a big deal switching away from stand-alone vaults would be because the founder himself felt it necessary to mention it at the very beginning of a post. It also means that at some point the decision was made to not adhere to this promise, with the knowledge that it was going to potentially be a big deal.

My first guess, and it’s just a guess with no solid evidence, is that your investors were putting pressure on Dave/other CEOs to cut off the license holders, so that you could start making money from them in a more reliable way. Maybe a deadline was given that fell before the 1Password 8 release, and Dave had no choice, or would loose out on a lot of money.

My second guess is that Dave, as he said in yesterday’s user email has always wanted a full 1Password experience on a mobile device. He got excited about that prospect once he learned that extensions were coming to mobile devices. This vision may have clouded his view, perhaps to the annoyance of many employees of the fact that Apple’s extensions were actually somewhat limited, in part because they’re new. Dave, being a strong minded entrepreneur, didn’t listen to any of the reasons why this would be a bad idea, most not only that to brick a paid users program for no apparent reason and without warning, in fact going against a promise, was a really bad idea.

I think the reason that people like me, who have a second in the free time to try to figure out what happened here do so, and have been writing these long winded and/or passionate answers is that AB made a product that not only is great, but also that embedded itself into the daily digital lives of a large number of people. And keep in mind that every one of these people are users of Apple branded devices, and a large number of those have many Apple devices. Apple as everyone knows is one of those brands that have embedded themselves into people’s emotional psyche as well. So imagine a person like this, who uses 1Password so frequently and so unthinkingly, decides to upgrade her or his phone to the new OS. It’s exciting and fun for a lot of people. Now imagine the moment when they first log in to something on that shiny new OS, to find that a major portion of that new OS experience isn’t working. And now imagine their reaction when they look into it and find out that not only is it not working but that it was intentionally broken, without warning or pre-apology, and worse than that against a promise to the contrary. And then imagine that while expecting an apology and perhaps a new promise to fix the mistake, the founder of the company doubles down on it, trivializes it, says that he never used share sheets anymore so what’s the big deal, and says that he thinks it’s overblown. And every single response from an employee continues uninterrupted the once loved by now situationally odd practice of super politeness? It’s a lot for a geek, in a first world problems kind of way.

Anyways though, despite liking the new user experience less, especially having to enter my newly longer 10 digit password at all on the small phone keyboard, I do like the fact that after the big hassle of switching over all of my devices to an account, I know that there won’t be sync issues anymore, and I don’t have to worry about license stuff anymore, and generally it seems like as a whole everything will probably be more cohesive. Also, contrary to what a lot of users say, the local vs cloud thing doesn’t feel less safe to me. I don’t have any reason to believe that it would be. The encrypted bits and bytes were still flowing through the internet just as they are now, and we’re still stored on the cloud via whatever method of backup I used, as well as the fact that every device I own is permanently connected to the internet. Anyway, hopefully someone gets something out of my explanation.

• ran_1020
    ran_1020
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

@Ben In Dave’s answer you linked, I noticed he said “ 1Password 7 will not be changing and can continue to be used with all currently available sync methods” which of course turned out to not be true. What was the calculus within the company as to why you ended that early? I’ve read various reasons, but they all seem to suggest that it was just an afterthought that nobody thought would be a big deal. But seeing that Dave specifically said that it “will not be changing” until 8, which means that you guys were aware of what a big deal switching away from stand-alone vaults would be because the founder himself felt it necessary to mention it at the very beginning of a post. It also means that at some point the decision was made to not adhere to this promise, with the knowledge that it was going to potentially be a big deal.

My first guess, and it’s just a guess with no solid evidence, is that your investors were putting pressure on Dave/other CEOs to cut off the license holders, so that you could start making money from them in a more reliable way. Maybe a deadline was given that fell before the 1Password 8 release, and Dave had no choice, or would loose out on a lot of money.

My second guess is that Dave, as he said in yesterday’s user email has always wanted a full 1Password experience on a mobile device. He got excited about that prospect once he learned that extensions were coming to mobile devices. This vision may have clouded his view, perhaps to the annoyance of many employees of the fact that Apple’s extensions were actually somewhat limited, in part because they’re new. Dave, being a strong minded entrepreneur, didn’t listen to any of the reasons why this would be a bad idea, most notably that to brick a paid user’s program for no apparent reason and without warning, in fact going against a promise, was a really bad idea.

I think the reason that people like me, who have a second in their free time to try to figure out what happened here do so, and have been writing these long winded and/or passionate answers is that AB made a product that not only is great, but also that embedded itself into the daily digital lives of a large number of people. And keep in mind that every one of these people are users of Apple branded devices, and a large number of those have many Apple devices. Apple as everyone knows is one of those brands that have embedded themselves into people’s emotional psyche as well. So imagine a person like this, who uses 1Password so frequently and so unthinkingly, decides to upgrade her or his phone to the new OS. It’s exciting and fun for a lot of people. Now imagine the moment when they first log in to something on that shiny new OS, to find that a major portion of that new OS experience isn’t working. And now imagine their reaction when they look into it and find out that not only is it not working but that it was intentionally broken, without warning or pre-apology, and worse than that Dave is doubling down on their choice to brick it, and even making lite of it by saying nobody used share sheets anyway and it’s all over blown! And also, this all seems to have been done for profit! Anyway, you got me because I’m a subscriber now. I’ve gotta pick my battles, but I won’t be defeated without saying something about it first ;)

P.S.

Cloud vaults are just as safe as local vaults, if not safer. Don’t be silly everyone. If you’re device is connected to the internet, and especially if you back it up in the cloud, as nearly all iPhones are, it doesn’t matter what physical location the data sits at, if it even is only at one physical location. It matters what security and integrity are in place.

• brank
    brank
    Community Member

The reason cloud vaults are no where near as safe as local vaults is that if the cloud vault is compromised, such that an attacker downloads the encrypted vault, then they have unlimited attempts at hacking it through brute force techniques.

If the vault is on my device, they can’t do that.

Current encryption may take years for current cracking devices to hack. However, if the hacker sits on the encrypted vaults a few years, it may become trivial to crack. As 5 to 10 year old encryption today is trivial to crack with today’s GPUs.

It’s either incompetence for anyone to say cloud vaults are safer or it’s disingenuous because it’s short-term profit-seeking behavior.

No legitimate security expert would say cloud vaults are just as safe as offline. An argument could be made that one doesn’t “need” the extra security provided by offline vaults. It depends what’s in your vaults. Is your SSN and personal documents in your vault? Then putting that in the cloud is a terrible idea. Are you only using your vaults for passwords that you change on a biannual basis anyway? Then less bad of an idea because if hackers breach the cloud vaults today, then by the time they crack them, you’ve already changed the passwords.

However, what if you have accounts on OnlyFans or Cheat-On-Your-Spouse sites? Even if you’ve changed the password by the time the hackers can breach the online vault, the fact that you even have those accounts is potentially damning information.

I would only use cloud vaults if you’re okay that in 6 months, everything in that vault will appear on the front page of The NY Times. If that’s you’re use case, then enjoy the convenience of the online cloud vaults.

Also, I’ve seen arguments that we should trust agilebits to secure their vaults on their cloud because we trust them to build the software. First of all, that’s a silly argument because it’s two separate competencies. Do you trust Michael Jordan to be the worlds best baseball player because he’s a great basketball player? There’s overlap in athleticism but it’s not 1 to 1.

Twitch is worth billions of dollars. I doubt 1password had anywhere near the number of folks on staff that Twitch has. Anyone see twitch’s entire server got hacked and leaked this week including source code? If Amazon can’t 100% defend their servers and they have 1000x the resources 1password has, how could you trust 1password to defend them?

The argument then becomes, “well the hackers would only get encrypted vaults, which would be useless to them”… yeah except if they wait 5 to 10 years and can crack those vaults in a few hours or minutes using 2030-era GPUs.

And if you don’t care if all of your 1password information shows up on a Google search of your name in 5 years, then cloud vaults are fine for you. Not everyone needs great security. Some people are fine with decent security which is what could vaults bring.

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Just give us the damn share sheets back, already! Even your latest share a password through a secure link update seems not available to non Subscription users. Getting so tired of you adding all of these features to the App that we paid money for but keeping them from us. Release your stupid 1Password 8 already even if it's not done and keep updating it, and leave us alone. Everyone I've talked to hates your founder Dave! What a cocky asshole!

This discussion has been closed.