Bring back the mini browser

I've decided to try 1P8 again because I want it to work.

The three things that made me immediately nope out before were:

1. Dock icon won't go away without quitting 1Password
  2. The browser extensions don't integrate fully even now it's working I still have to sign into both accounts in both places
  3. The mini browser was absolutely awful a couple weeks ago when this was first annoucned.

I am okay with the newer design, I can see some merits, but:

• I don't like that I can't just see a full list of the items for systems where more than just a username, password or OTP might be needed, please can you just bring back the full view without having to open in a separate window. Like what if I want a serial number from a software license?
  • I don't like that when I have multiple accounts or vaults its not clear where things are from and I cannot filter any more using Command + 0 - 9
  • I hate that I cannot edit anything in the new browser by just hitting Command + E and making quick changes.
  • I don't like that I cannot get rid of the help text once I've learnt it.
  • As it's an arrow based navigation can we have Command + Up arrow to get back to the search box or something?
  • It would be nice if the keyboard shortcuts were more aesthetically pleasing like on apple.stackoverflow.com in little boxes, or at least a little space between things ⌥Return is kind of ugly compared to ⌥ Return at least.
  • Can you make the list scrollable rather than limiting it to 10 items
  • Stop the flash of 1passwords main window when opening in a new window
  • Make the new window have a button to open in 1Password
  • Closing the last window makes the 1password main window appear which is annoying.

Other grips:
1. When using watch tower and deleting something it kicks you back to the main view rather than updating the watch tower screen
2. Theres too much 'white space'
3. The Account images are gone, I miss being able to see my boyfriend and I when looking at our family account.
4. The middle column in the main window where the list of logins etc is the text is too large imo.
5. Still no SSH key support after years of feature requests.
6. Clicking the 1Password icon in Firefox causes a flash of the extension's browser followed by 1password taking over the whole screen with it's main window which isn't expected behaviour, I'd expect just to see the mini browser, but it doesnt.

Otherwise I think it's good, but I hope there will be a lot more work before release.

1Password Version: 8.2.2-19.BETA
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @unknowndomain !

Dock icon won't go away without quitting 1Password

Doesn't this setting work for you?

When I disable this setting, there is no icon in the notification area.

The browser extensions don't integrate fully even now it's working I still have to sign into both accounts in both places

Is the setting Integrate with 1Password app in the extension enabled?

The mini browser was absolutely awful a couple weeks ago when this was first annoucned.

Did you try the new "Quick Access"? I also liked 1PW Mini and I have to say that the "Quick Access" is working really good now.

• unknowndomain
    unknowndomain
    Community Member

@DenalB I've already checked both of those and they're on, but still has this issue, also getting a lot of issues after sleep where the browser gets stuck on this:

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    edited September 2021

+1 for many of your suggestions, but most notably for bringing back the traditional "Mini" version of Quick Access. The new Quick Access is less functional than before; it has less ease-of-use.

• tomjepp
    tomjepp
    Community Member

+1. I've tried Quick Access over and over and I just find it's really awkward to use compared to 1Password Mini from 1Password 7 or the browser extension's 1Password Mini-like popup.

I don't think there's any reason why the keyboard based navigation and shortcuts to copy specific fields could not have been added to 1Password Mini, and that would have avoided the substantial drop in usability that Quick Access provides for many people.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

So sad that AgileBits forgot all the feedback, the good and efficient parts of almost all versions to v7. Now with v8 starting from the scratch, with zero! And GUI which has nothing to do with v7 (and will never have).

Now reading all the feedback from users, giving (even basic) hints how to make the GUI, the interaction with v8 better. Why did Agilebits not learn from all the other versions before?

This discussion has been closed.