iPhone vs. iPad app: displaying no data

Options
leesweet
leesweet
Community Member

I'll start by noting this is a continuation of an old conversation I started in support email back when. Now that I've discovered the forum, I think it's a much better way to go. You folks really should publicize it more! :)

I love the iPhone format of the app, the iPad not so much. My issue is that there appears to be no way to start or even go to a place where there is NO private data displayed on the iPad. You are always seeing one record open and displayed. I've even removed all favorites in an attempt to use that (the favorites page) as an empty home screen, and that doesn't work. Unless it's a bug, doing that on the iPhone works (no entries shown when there are no favorites), and on the iPad, you can't delete all favorites. It shows the last one (or perhaps it's the first record of all of them) in the favorites, even when none are selected as favorites. Can that be correct?

I've been told that this general behavior (displaying data in all cases) is a feature of the iPad layout, and I do understand how it is different (I've been using iPads since day 1). But I still would like to see what interest there might be in some sort of home page where no data is shown in the iPad version.

(This is all version 4, of course...).

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Passwords are concealed by default. Might you have disabled that option and forgot about it (Settings > Display > Conceal Passwords)? You can also switch to browser mode. Is the issue you describe in portrait, landscape, or both?

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

No, I'm talking about it display data, not the password. You always see the contents of a record. Because of the format of the iPad layout, you can't see 'nothing'. Compare 1P4 on an iPhone to an iPad. It's completely different. I know that can't be changed, so I'm trying to use the Favorites screen as a way to start it up with nothing showing. And I can't even do that. Favorites seems to show the first record in the database.

I want it to start up with nothing so I'm not displaying credit card numbers, or logins, or whatever. Never mind the passwords, they are the last thing I care about, since they are 16 character gibberish. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good point about the passwords. ;)

I'd suggest Web mode for now, but I'll mention your use case to the developers.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

But there's still what is up with 'Favorites' on the iPad. Is mine broken or is this a bug? On the iPhone, favorites is empty. On the iPad (same data, of course!), I can't make it so. It defaults with no favorited data to showing my AmEx card (data set number one). That really shouldn't be the case, no?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is the same as any other Category view. The currently selected item is displayed in the details view. There is not a way to have no item selected. Unless I am misunderstanding you, it is working as designed, but I am happy to mention your use case to the developers for future improvement.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Hm.... What is selected if there aren't any? :) This is the Favorites view. If you have NO items marked as favorites, it should show nothing. As I said, that's what the iPhone app does. I know the iPad view is different, but good grief, if there aren't any favorites, there should be NO favorites. :)

Explaining things here is crazy sometimes. As I also said, take an iPad, and test it. If you have no records marked as Favorites, does the Favorites view show nothing or always something? If it's something, that's a bug. Not so?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There will always be an item displayed in the details view. It will remain the same until a new item is selected. If there are no favorites, you will not be able to select one and update the details view with it. I've mentioned this to the developers on your behalf. Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime. :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

I want to be sure we agree on this. On the iPhone you can have an empty Favorites view. On the iPad you can't (currently). Is that what you are also saying? It's not clear from what you just said. I'm looking for a way to start the app with no data displayed, and even using an empty Favorites view (no items are 'Favorites') doesn't work for the iPad version of 1P4. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your list of Favorites can certainly be empty, but the details view is never empty. Right now, there is always something displayed in the details pane.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

How is this (logically or not logically) even possible? If there are no records marked as favorites, how can it display one? If this is actually so, is it just taking the first one from the list of all records? This has to be a bug. If there is no data to select from, it should show no data.

In any case, I was trying to use Favorites as a way to have 1P4 open on the iPad and not show the details of a record. Which appears to be impossible. It's totally ironic that on the iPhone (which people usually can't see) that this works 'correctly/better' (no record details are displayed at top level), but on the iPad where people are more likely to see your screen, it has to display the details of a record, and, of course, everything except the one thing we (when we do it correctly) don't care about (the complex random password). Wow, is all I can say.

Can we at least get Favorites fixed? Having a way to have a 'top level' to return to to open the app up where no details are displayed (and not wasting the Favorites view) would be nice, also.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I mentioned above, I've already mentioned this to the developers. I'll post back with more information as it becomes available.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha, thanks, Khad, as always. I just wanted to be sure we had the problem specification down!

• JHep
    JHep
    Community Member
    Options

leesweet, as a workaround have you considered creating a "fake" account with minimal bogus info named something innocuous like "Home Screen". Set that as your only favorite and continue using the Favorites screen as your home screen.

Just a thought.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Hm, good thought! One bogus record to fake it out. Thanks for the idea!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Smart. :)

This discussion has been closed.