Families - Multiple Private Vaults?

edited September 27 in Families

Since 1Password 8 does not support local vaults, will it support multiple private vaults for each family member? (I'll have already filled out the survey for supporting some local hosted option)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• please someone from the 1Password support staff correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can do that already. The only downside I see so far is that family administrators can potentially see all additional vaults other than the main private one. But a regular family member should only be able to see vaults they have been invited to.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited September 26

@Longtime1Puser - only one vault is your default "Private" vault, but you can create as many vaults as you wish in a 1Password Families account, and invite any array of fellow members to each one -- or nobody at all, which would make such a vault yours alone.

To your point, JohnnyFJohnsson, Family Organizers cannot "see" all vaults automatically. Because they are administrators of the account, they would have the ability to add themselves to any vault except a users' private vault, but that would have to be a proactive decision on their part; they are not invited automatically, nor can they see/use the data in any vault of which they are not a part.

• Understood. Is there a way to prevent administrators from granting others access to those other vaults?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Longtime1Puser - the only way to accomplish that is to be the only Family Organizer. 1Password Families is designed with a certain level of trust implicit in the model; families are not individuals, and they are not organizations or companies. We're aware families take many forms as well, but if one is genuinely worried about other family members taking the proactive step of adding themselves to vaults they were not invited to, just because they have the power to do so, I'd suggest individual accounts for that family -- either in lieu of or potentially in addition to the 1Password Families account.

To be clear once again, each user can indeed create as many vaults in a 1Password Families account as they wish, and make them available to only themselves. But owners (which is essentially what Family Organizers are) do indeed control the entire account, including the ability to delete the account, or individual users within it.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Moving this over to our Families category, as ultimately this is something that would need to be built out on the service side first. It isn't something 1Password 8 could address on its own.

Ben

• Hi @Lars thank you for the clarification :)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome :)

• edited October 12

@Lars I have a follow-up question. What information exacly about additional vaults is exposed to other family members? I understand that family organizers can always grant themselves access to any vault except my personal one. With this being clear: When I create an additional vault with me as the only one having access to it – would other family members still be able to know that it exists? What it's called? What access privileges it has? Or is the mere existence of additional vaults hidden from other members unless I manually add them?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I could't find any information about this.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@kaffeeundsalz

If the other family members are Family Organizers then they would be able to see the names of any additional vaults created on the Vaults page in the sidebar at https://start.1password.com/. If they are not Family Organizers, and you haven't given them access to the vault, they would not be able to see even the fact that it exists.

Ben

• Thank you @Ben. This answers my question perfectly.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

On behalf of Ben, you are very welcome @kaffeeundsalz :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file