Dropbox constantly updating and consuming cpu

Options

I seem to be having several related issues with dropbox and 1Password on windows. When I start the system dropbox starts up and pretty much remains idle. But, if I startup the 1Password app as soon as I unlock it dropbox begins syncing and never finishes. It consumes about 30% cpu continuously until I am forced to kill it. I have reinstalled dropbox (and removed the directory) several times to no avail. It definitely seems related to running 1Password because if I quit the app and restart dropbox everything seems normal, until I restart 1Password. At which point DropBox goes into this mode; constantly reporting indexing and syncing of the files. The Agile1pAgent.exe also consumes 3-6% of the CPU even after I have quit 1Password.

The only items I have on drop box are related to 1Password.

Another issue was with the 1Password app constantly flickering. I found a registry entry on your website to not monitor the directory and it solved that problem. But, are they related?

I am synced between
1. Windows 7
2. Macbook Pro
3. iPhone
4. iPad

The apple devices all appear to be sync’ed properly, the windows machine however does not appear to be.

I have McAfee SecurityCenter anti-virus which seems to be involved in this. As soon as I disable Real-Time scanning the Agile1pAgent stops consuming CPU and DropBox reports it is up to date. DropBox, however, continues consuming CPU cycles.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As soon as I disable Real-Time scanning the Agile1pAgent stops consuming CPU and DropBox reports it is up to date.

It sounds like you have determined the cause of the trouble. We are seeing more and more trouble from McAfee these days. What happens if you simply disable it completely and then restart your computer?

• blackholexplorer
    blackholexplorer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when I disable McAfee everything works as intended. Problem is I can't run without anti-virus. I've worked around the problem by not running dropbox and manually updating after having turned off real-time scanning. McAfee support wasn't much help, standard scripted troubleshooting procedure, no recognition there is a problem with DropBox syncing.

However, the issue does seem to be triggered when I unlock 1P. I think the parties involved are: 1P, 1PAgent, DropBox, and McAfee. Seems to be a circularity in the detection of a file change or file access event.

Hope this helps others in trouble.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll continue to investigate what we can do on our end, but it sounds like the problem lies with McAfee if disabling McAfee completely resolves the issue.

In the meantime, might I suggest using an antivirus solution that doesn't cause these kinds of problems? There are many good solutions and some of them are even free so there would be no additional cost to you.

This discussion has been closed.