Lifetime cost of 1Password is upwards of $2000!

RagnorokRagnorok
edited October 12 in Memberships

I'm currently a standalone license user, and with the upcoming changes in 1Password 8, specifically in it dropping support for standalone licenses, I have been looking at potentially switching to a subscription. However, I did some quick math, and was really dismayed by how much 1Password would end up costing over its lifetime.

I have been using 1Password for close to 10 years, and over those 10 years I have purchased a number of upgrades. I would say I have probably spent $200 or so on 1Password over these past 10 years for myself and my significant other. However, if I switch to a monthly subscription, my costs will sky rocket. Currently, a family membership license is $5/month. If we extrapolate that over the next 10 years, it will cost me $600 to continue to use 1Password! And that assumes AgileBits never raises the price of their subscription.

Even more jaw dropping/eye opening is if we extrapolate this out over my lifetime. I am currently in my late 30 years. Let's say I (and my partner) continue to use 1Password for the next 40 years (hopefully that's a conservative estimate ;) ), the lifetime cost comes to $2400! And again, that assumes AgileBits never raises its prices.

I'm honestly wondering how the developers can justify this? I know AgileBits needs to maintain its servers, pay its staff, and continually update their software to fix bugs and add features, but $2400 over a lifetime for a password manager seems completely absurd to me.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @Ragnorok!

Even more jaw dropping/eye opening is if we extrapolate this out over my lifetime. I am currently in my late 30 years. Let's say I (and my partner) continue to use 1Password for the next 40 years (hopefully that's a conservative estimate ;) ), the lifetime cost comes to $2400! And again, that assumes AgileBits never raises its prices.

You should note that the $5 Families account allow 5 people to use 1Password, so in reality you are only going to pay $480 over the next 40 years, less than you would have paid on license upgrades over the same time.

• @ag_ana Thanks for the quick reply! But, with all due respect, your logic is severely flawed. First and foremost, regardless of the number of users I can share my subscription with, I will still be paying $2400. Even if I switch to a single user license, that will still cost me $1440. Second, just because a family plan can support up to 5 users doesn't inherently mean it will be used with 5 users. As stated in my initial post, at least at the moment, the family plan would only be used with 2 users. The reason I would pick the family plan isn't because it can be used with up to 5 users, but because it's cheaper than 2 single user licenses. This also presupposes that AgileBits will never raise their prices, which is a pretty unlikely scenario.

I also struggle with justifying having to continually pay to continue to access my passwords. Right now, my standalone license for 1Password will continue to work indefinitely. If I were to upgrade to a membership, the minute I stop paying, I'm SOL.

I really want to continue to use 1Password, as it is simply unmatched as a password management tool, I'm just having a really hard time justifying that cost and being forced to pay to access my passwords in perpetuity.

• wookiewookie Junior Member

While I'm not a fan of subscriptions I think this needs to be put into perspective. Let's say you're a coffee-drinker (I'm not) and you buy a coffee a day at $2 ... say 300 times/year, that's 600*40 => 24000 ... I assume that's OK with most coffee drinking people but it sounds crazy to me.

So while I don't like subscriptions (for this kind of service) I don't think the price is crazy considering staffing, servers, etc, etc. I would say that $200 for 10 years is too little money to keep a company like 1Password in business.

Well, that's my opinion. I'll now go back to debating if I should upgrade to v8 or not (the subscription cost isn't an issue to me, I use 1Password so many times each day that it's worth it).

• @wookie You're not wrong per se, but I'm not really sure it's a fair comparison. Ultimately, once I switch to a 1Password membership I'm essentially stuck with it for life less I lose access to my passwords. The more I think about it, it's that consumer lock-in that I find really troubling.

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

@Ragnorok I don't disagree with your figures. But you say

I also struggle with justifying having to continually pay to continue to access my passwords.

You may well know, but others reading the thread may not know, that even if you stop subscribing you can still access your passwords. You can't add or edit them, and they will be harder to use, but they are still available.

And I assume you can export them, and there are other apps that can read the pif-file (at least you can export in v7)

• @danco That's good know, but I've read that even in a limited read-only mode, 1Password will constantly push pop-ups reminding you to pay for you membership, making accessing your password frustratingly difficult. There's just something about having to pay indefinitely to fully manage my passwords that really rubs me in the wrong way.

@Ragnorok I agree, for me it's not a fair comparison :) I don't drink coffee so that would be $24000 thrown away :)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

One other thing to note is that a 1Password Membership offers you more features than a standalone license offered:

About 1Password membership

A lot of these are ongoing features that hopefully will add value if you use 1Password :+1:

@Ragnorok:

As other members of the community already pointed out to you, you can always access your data even if you stop paying. Alternatively, you can always export your data if you wish:

How to export data from 1Password

• @ag_ana There are definitely a few extra features in a 1P membership, but none of them seem really game changing. Securely sharing passwords b/w users is nice, but is it $3 or $5/month nice? I could see being able to access all your password from any web browser wherever you are something that would have been a game changer years ago, but given that most people (myself included) almost always have their phones on them, web access doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I guess I'm really trying to find reasons to continue using 1Password beyond the current 1P7, but I'm having a really hard time justifying the expense and user-lock in of a membership. This is especially egregious with some of the more controversial changes being made in the upcoming 1Password 8, and the current outcry by some users with feature removals in the current iOS version of 1Password.

Perhaps this all boils down to trust? Why should I continue to trust AgileBits moving forward given all the frustrating and controversial changes happening? How can I be certain that AgileBits won't decide to increase my membership fee after they've locked me into it? How can I be certain that AB won't randomly remove a feature from 1P without at least some form of notice first? How can I be certain that AB won't just decide to close up shop one day, leaving all of its user in the lurch? With the current standalone license, AgileBits could disappear tomorrow, but I'd still have fully access to all of my passwords. The same can't be said with a membership.

Essentially, why should I trust you all when a lot of trust bridges have been burned as of late.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Ragnorok:

I certainly understand. Ultimately, only you can decide whether the features or the 1Password service is valuable enough to you to continue using it. My hope is that you still can get enough value out of 1Password to continue using it, and perhaps even add the new features into your workflow over time, to make it even more useful to you :+1:

• @ag_ana

I know this is probably difficult (if not impossible) for you to speak towards, but what about the trust issues I mentioned?

Given the controversial decisions and changes as of late, why should I trust AgileBits?

Again, I know that is a question you can’t really answer, but it is certainly an important one.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@Ragnorok:

I know what you mean, but I don't think I can answer it for you and I cannot speak for the product and design teams: similar to the discussion about the additional features in 1Password Membership, only you can choose whether you get value out of a service, or if you trust it. What I can say is that since you are still using 1Password as of right now, to keep an eye out on its development and see if that is something that you can see yourself enjoying in the future as well, and make an informed decision.

And as I mentioned before, if the concern is access to your data, you can always export it and keep a copy safe if you prefer :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file