No autofill on Mac or iOS on bleedingcool.com

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

This is using OpenWeb for commenting, so it could affect many sites.

For Safari, I am allowing the inline menu.

With Safari: With CMD+\ hotkey, the 1Password extension will open with the right suggestion, but the AutoFill button doesn't work. Have to copy/paste the email and password individually.

With Firefox for Mac: CMD+\ works once with an immediate autofill, but that can't be repeated - after that, CMD+\ works like it does on Safari. After refreshing the page, it will work again one time.

Something unusual about the login - after entering email address, the site puts a green checkmark next to it.

1Password Version: 7.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur

Comments

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I'm bumping this back up by replying to it - since I see in release notes that you name sites where login was fixed, I was surprised my post about this broken site didn't get a response.

The site behavior hasn't changed from what I reported on Oct 17.

Thank you.

• @Tonetony

My sincerest apologies for the oversight! Are you able to share the exact URL for bleedingcool.com where you're attempting to sign in? I'm having some trouble locating input fields or an account selection option.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. On any page, there's a Community and Conversation section midway down just below the author bio, but if you scroll to it quickly at first you see nothing; but then, a note appears that comments will load in 8 seconds, or you can click to load them right away.

Or click the Comments link at the top right next to the author's name - this skips down to the Conversation area right away and opens it.

In the Conversation section, there are links to disqus and to Log in on the right. I use Log In. A pop-up appears, and this is where the Email Address and Password field are.

There are different ways to connect. I've only used email here, not Google, FB or Twitter. One can also click Join to create an account using Name, email and password.

BTW I reported above how CMD+\ behaves here, but should add that the 1Password inline icon doesn't appear in the login fields.

Thanks!

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options
  • Thanks for the additional details @Tonetony!

I've done some testing and, you're right, 1Password is having trouble identifying the login fields for bleedingcool.com. It looks like the site is using a Shadow DOM, which is sort of like a page within a page. When we ask for all of the text inputs on the page, those inside "shadow roots" are missing. I've shared this with our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour. Hopefully we'll see a fix implemented in a future release.

In the meantime, I'd suggest using the drag and drop feature to autofill your credentials. I realize it's not ideal, but should achieve what you're after.

ref: dev/core/core#2900

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't know about drag-n-drop. Thank you! That works very well - I like how the 1Password extension remains "pinned" between drags, unlike Copy/Paste where you have to remember to pin it or else the Copy button will dismiss the panel after it's pressed.

One observation about the documentation for drag-n-drop: the link you included describes the feature, but at the top of the same page there's a graphical list of the browsers the page apparently applies to, along with a separate link to Safari doc.

That Safari page has some of the same information as on the "other browser" page, but overall seems quite incomplete, and drag-n-drop is one of the many features not mentioned. So I wasn't sure it would work till I tried it.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, this thing called OpenWeb was previously called Spot.IM. I wondered where Spot.IM went. It's a commenting system I had to allow in my content blocker.

The OpenWeb web site lists a few prominent sites that use their platform (they claim to be used by 1000+ publishers), and I tried a few of them out - huffpost, aol, yahoo, techcrunch, ign. They all have a somewhat similar login/join dialog, though it may slide into view, or be a separate page, or be a pop-up. 1Password recognizes the email login field on all of the ones I tried, so Bleeding Cool does appear to be an outlier.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info here @Tonetony , much appreciated!

We do hope to be able to support and work alongside shadow DOMs and shadow roots in the future, which would resolve issues with a list of affected websites (not just Bleeding Cool), but we don't have an ETA on that.

If you encounter any other websites with such issues, feel free to let us know and report them, either here on via email to support+x@1password.com.
    Thank you kindly :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.