1Password X extension desktop app integration and Waterfox

Siph
Siph
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I’ve started using 1Password and I’m very satisfied with it. My web browser of choice is Waterfox, which is a fork of Firefox. The 1Password X add-on for Firefox works well with it, except for the integration with the Desktop app, limiting the use of certain features.

When I open the desktop app, I get the message following error message:

This happens both on the current version of Waterfox, G3, which is based on Firefox ESR 78, and the beta build of the upcoming Waterfox G4 release which is based on Firefox ESR 91.

I understand that it only accepts connection from trusted apps as a matter of security, but Waterfox being a legitimate web browser, I was wondering if it was possible for the team to consider trusting it? I would prefer not having to switch to Firefox to be able to benefit from the features provided by the integration with the desktop app.

Thank you very much for reading, have a nice day.

1Password Version: 7.9.822
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Windows 10 21H1
Referrer: forum-search:waterfox

Comments

• kevin.li
    edited October 2021

Hi @Siph,

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've submitted the request to our developers internally and they will take a deep look into it.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#596

• Siph
    Siph
    Community Member

Thank you very much :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of @kevin.li, you are welcome @Siph! If you have any other suggestions or requests, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• apfsx
    apfsx
    Community Member

@kevin.li @ag_ana

I'm so sorry to bother, but, Any update on this you guys? This would be a great help and Waterfox is among my work and anyone else who does serious work in browser. Having to unlock desktop and extension causes a lot of friction.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@apfsx:

No bother at all! We don't have anything new to share about this unfortunately, I see our developers are still collecting feedback and they have an open feature request.

Waterfox is among my work and anyone else who does serious work in browser.

For my own personal knowledge, do you mind if I ask you why? I use several browsers for work (in order to test the browser extensions) so I don't think I have a favorite one, but so far I think all of them allowed me to do anything I need. When you say "serious work", what are you referring to? I would be curious to know what makes Waterfox better in this case. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.