New early access update is now available

Options

Hello everyone, 👋

Welcome to November! 🥰 When the sun's out it's a gorgeous month for walking around the parks and forests. To kick off the month we have build #80400040 to make those sunny days extra special and to help enjoy those days when the sun might not be as shining as much as we'd like. 😘

Adding an account during initial setup as well as adding a new account have a nice new design and several quality of life improvements. On Mac existing accounts are obtained from iCloud Keychain so all you need to do is enter your account password. On Windows any existing accounts found from previous versions of 1Password will be shown so just typing a password is all you need to add them. On Linux this screenshot won't apply to you, at least not just yet.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

This is our release candidate for our official launch of 1Password 8 on Windows as well as the 8.4 stable update on Linux. Please raise any issues you may find as soon as you can so we can triage them before the releases.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

Installation

If you enjoy being on the bleeding edge and providing feedback and bug reports, you can get early access for your favourite platforms here:

Have fun and thank you for helping us shape the future of 1Password. Enjoy! ❤️

Comments

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I LOVE THIS UPDATE! ❤️

Sorry for shouting.

• pratnala
    pratnala
    Community Member
    Options

Release candidate!? Are we finally close to GA? 👀

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Release candidate!? Are we finally close to GA? 👀

Windows only I read/hope.

The macOS version is far from ready, considering all the current bugs.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Release candidate. Cool. From my point of view, it's stable enough if seen as a whole. If you want to officially release, go ahead.

However, for me personally one single important feature is missing, that is present in v7, and that makes v8 still incomplete: this is the custom reordering of fields. I use that feature from v7 quite often to store and organize additional data on identity items, server items and so on. Currently, you are not able to add a new custom field "in the middle" of a section and move sections up and down. You can only add to the bottom, but not move it to the right place above. This makes me not well organized.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on reordering fields.

I'm also a bit surprised by the GA candidate for Windows/Linux. The reception for the early access did not seem to meet Dave and Roustem's expectations, and so I wonder how the reception to the final release will be. The app did not previously exist on Linux so as long as it's stable they will probably be happy, and my understanding is that the previous Windows version was not at the same level of the Mac version, so they also may be satisfied with the current state of v8.

I do think it's smart not to GA the Mac release yet, and hopefully most of the remaining rough points get sanded off before the Mac version goes GA.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password.

You're very welcome, @dteare ! It was a pleasure for me to help you improve the v8 release. :+1:

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Edit: Nevermind, just forget it. It's not worth talking about anymore.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Wait. You're going to release 1Password 8 although search is still broken? In it's current state search finds only a small fraction of items I could easily find in 1Password 7 because version 8 doesn't search for substrings.
    Are you really ignoring all the feedback regarding the sidebar? In its current state it's pretty much useless for people with a small amount of vaults/tags who were used to switch categories via sidebar. The current implemenation of category switching using a dropdown menu requires much more clicks.

• James.Dressel_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Tertius3, @EnerJi and @viswiz. We're listening!

I just want to briefly note that, while the official launch of 1Password 8 for Windows will be a milestone (and a big one, we hope!) that won't be the end of the iterative process for us. Fixes, improvements, and new features will continue to come on a regular basis, and we're paying close attention to what folks like you are asking for. And we appreciate that you let us know where the value is for you!

We've just pushed out a new version to the beta channel, #80400045. We were not satisfied with our Korean and Japanese translations, and have disabled them while we improve those translations. Otherwise the build is identical to #80400040.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@James.Dressel_1P I hope that you continue to improve 1Password. Every software contains bugs. Some are minor, some are major and some are even blockers.
    I'm working for more than 20 years as a software developer and none of the companies I've been working with would have considered releasing an application with a blocker issue like the badly broken search. Due to this issue the only remaining way to reliably find an item within hundreds of elements is browsing them! Sorry, but that is not the way the AgileBits I used to know handled serious issues.

• Ben
    Options

@viswiz I think the best we can do here is promise that 1Password 8's first stable release certainly won't be it's last and ask for some patience as we continue to improve the product. We have a solid track record of frequent updates, and I imagine that'll be even better once all of our development efforts can focus on v8.

As we've discussed in other threads, there are downsides to having search pick up substrings the way you'd like for it to without first building a more solid foundation (i.e. it may break search entirely for some languages). We'd like to build that foundation eventually, but it won't be ready for the first stable release.

Ben

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I've seen the messages about the search capabilities. It's true that it has some limitations right now. For instance, if you'd like to search for an entry named "AgileBits", typing "Bits" won't give you what you want, you have to start by typing "Agile". if the word is "Agile Bits" or "Agile-Bits" typing "Bits" will work however.

Basically, seems like 1Password 8 can't search for parts of words if they don't have spaces, dashes and so on.

• Ben
    Options

For instance, if you'd like to search for an entry named "AgileBits", typing "Bits" won't give you what you want

This specific case would actually work as desired. If the entry were named "Agilebits" and you searched for "bits" the item would not be found, however.

Ben

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thanks, indeed you're right. Uppercase works. Any insight on why "Agilebits" doesn't work?

I'm used to many popular password managers but mainly used 1Password and Keepass. KeepassXC (cross-platform third party client) can search pieces of words everywhere, uppercase of not, even those contained in URLs, notes etc.

That can be quite practical in some situations.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I‘m using 1Password almost since its first release. Search always worked as expected… it just found what I was looking for ignoring the case or if it’s just a substring. This is the way search typically works in Spotlight, Word, google or any other application. It‘s even the way it still works in 1Password 7. Even taking into account that version 8 is not just a rewrite but a completely new software who thought it‘s a good a idea to implement a sub standard search?

In the other thread you mentioned Unicode problems and that it takes time to resolve. This thread is two months old and nothing has changed.

I agree that AgileBits had a solid track record of frequent updates. But your company has changed significantly. The old AgileBits would have released the new sharing feature with accompanying security whitepapers. Not this time…
    In the past you would not have called a version ready for release with major problems still being unresolved.

• MacKopes
    MacKopes
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on need for global search to work like it does in v7.

• Ben
    Options

@MacKopes

Could you please clarify what you mean by "global search"? I'd like to be sure we're talking about a known situation and not something new/unknown.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@J.M

Any insight on why "Agilebits" doesn't work?

Frankly it is a bit above my head but one of the resources I was pointed to for reference was

All sorts of things you can get wrong in Unicode, and why

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@viswiz

The old AgileBits would have released the new sharing feature with accompanying security whitepapers. Not this time…

Not to get too far off topic here but the white paper does include the new sharing feature (pg. 24), and was updated not long after the launch of the feature.

1Password Security Design White Paper

Ben

P.S. I did notice the date in the change log says 2020, and it should be 2021. I've notified the folks who work on the white paper so we can get that fixed up.

ref: security/security-issues#1576

• MacKopes
    MacKopes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben , It's really exactly what @viswiz and @J.M has outlined.
    Now I WILL say, after using 1password8 for the past few days, I'm trying to be open minded about the change in behavior and could provide a suggestion...
    For 'my' use case, the way the search works in kinda looking for substrings vs just a raw global 'string' search, is kinda nice in that it 'likely' will have more relevant results 99% of the time. I'm 'assuming' this provides a performance benefit?
    My 'suggestion', is maybe to leave it as is, for that, but provide an 'advanced search' (or 'search all') option, that would perform an entire search knowing it would be slower and have to crawl the database in a different way?

• Ben
    Options

@MacKopes

Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a separate issue. :+1: We do have plans to continue to make search better. I don't have specific details that I can share right now, but it is absolutely on the radar to offer more advanced options here.

Ben

• We released a new update to our beta channel today. Build number 80400054.

It resolved a rare issue that prevented the 1Password client app from sharing lock state with browser extensions on windows. It has a handful of other goodies like simplifying the process of adding multiple 1Password accounts and 1Password can now prompt for biometric unlocking in more circumstances.

This release supersedes 80400040 as a release candidate for our official launch of 1Password 8 on Windows as well as the 8.4 stable update on Linux.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you for all your feedback, as a result we've been able to polish a few more things in 1Password 8 on Windows.

• Thank you for all your encouragement, everyone! 🤗

It's been a long and fun road and today we officially released 1Password 8 for Windows. Thanks to everyone who helped made this milestone possible. ❤️

As mentioned above, there's still plenty of work left to do and many amazing things to create. This really is just one step on our path and with your help we'll continue pushing things forward. There's a Mac release to tackle in the new year, better search is always needed, and just last week I was sorely in need of the ability to reorder fields in one of my items. Thankfully our job is never done. 🙂

++dave;

• AN124
    AN124
    Community Member
    Options

Just for clear:
    Does 1Password 8 support local vaults?

• @AN124: 1Password 8 requires a 1Password Membership relies exclusively on 1Password.com (or .ca🇨🇦 or .eu🇪🇺). Data from iCloud or Dropbox or WLAN Sync can be migrated over to a new account.

If you're interested in the longer story on the history of standalone vaults and why we've decided to say goodbye to them, I wrote about it at length in this forum comment.

I hope that helps. Take care,

++dave;

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@Ben thanks.. I was expecting a new security whitepaper and as the existing one seems to be dated didn't have a closer look at it.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm deeply disappointed that a version with lots of regressions and bugs is now officially released. Yes, bugs were fixed during early access but none of the bigger issues was addressed. You kept telling us that you were listening and considering the feedback but still...

• the sidebar is pretty much useless for people with only a couple of vaults - it's now optimized for enterprise users with lots of vaults and accounts only
    • search is useless unless you know exactly how to type the search term
    • the ui is more like a "hollywood" ui we know from movies - especially on macOS and although this version isn't released yet I fear you are going to ignore the feedback as well
    • changed almost all shortcuts
    • no easy reveal of passwords - not even as an option
    • problems with non us keyboard shortcuts
    • quick access showing all kind of unrelated processes
This discussion has been closed.