To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Moving my existing data to a 1Password account

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I found a video on YouTube in the 1Password channel. It shows how to copy your data to a new account, it kind of glossed over it a bit, so I have a few questions. This is video: https://youtu.be/2D21emHqs18

It says "on the mac that has your existing data, sign in to your account on 1password.com". Dumb question, does this mean you use your browser to sign-in on the web? I assume I can use Chrome instead of Safari? Then it says "1Password will ask you if want to add your new account to the app". That was a little confusing. Is this just a shortcut to configure your existing app to use the new membership account? I will be migrating from a licensed local account to a Family membership. The current app I have on my mac is v6.8.9. I suppose I will use that and later upgrade to v7? Video says "Click add account and 1Password will guide you through the migration". On the next dialog, you click "Copy Items". Is there an option to choose what vault (personal or shared) to copy the data to? I didn't see that in the video. I wanted to create a "special" share vault that only my wife and I will share, so, not one of the default vaults. Can I create this 3rd vault, then migrate the data and specify that one? I think that I have more shared data than not, so it will be easier to move just a few personal items to my personal vault. I think it would be a good idea if there was a video specific to these kinds of things. I assume there will be lots of people like me moving over from a single license to a membership. Thanks for all your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Good to see you getting closer to the actual migration :)

It says "on the mac that has your existing data, sign in to your account on 1password.com". Dumb question, does this mean you use your browser to sign-in on the web?

Yes, as you can see in the video you linked, you need to do this in your browser :+1:

I assume I can use Chrome instead of Safari?

Certainly.

Then it says "1Password will ask you if want to add your new account to the app". That was a little confusing. Is this just a shortcut to configure your existing app to use the new membership account?

Yes.

I will be migrating from a licensed local account to a Family membership. The current app I have on my mac is v6.8.9. I suppose I will use that and later upgrade to v7?

You can certainly do that if you prefer. But it's going to be the same after all. Either you upgrade to 1Password 7 first, and then you migrate your data to a Families account, or you migrate the data in 1Password 6 first, and then upgrade to 1Password 7.

Video says "Click add account and 1Password will guide you through the migration". On the next dialog, you click "Copy Items". Is there an option to choose what vault (personal or shared) to copy the data to?

No, it will by default be migrated to the Personal vault. If that is not the one you want, you can move your items after the migration to a different vault:

Move and copy items

This discussion has been closed.