Tool for detecting and removing duplicates? [Available in 8.10.18]

Comments

• dus10htx
    dus10htx
    Community Member

I would also love some sort of tool to deal with duplicates. I've been using both Keychain and 1Password for many years. I'm finally tired enough of them fighting each other and would like to turn off Keychain entirely. However I would like to import those. But I will be stuck with tons of duplicates. If some sort of duplicate tool was available, I would be able to move exclusively to 1Password.

• Hi @dus10htx:

Thanks for your feedback. I've added you to the issue we have tracking this.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-615

• codebee
    codebee
    Community Member

Same here, easily a thousand duplicates. Very annoying :-(

• I'm very sorry to hear this, @codebee. I'll add a vote on your behalf for a duplicate removal tool. Thanks for letting us know that this is relevant to your use case.

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

I have just migrated to 8 and .......

PLEASE add a Deduplicator tool. I have over 1k of dupes.
    ... well - you get the idea...

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

I see several comments from 1Password staff that this is a "heavy lift" and you don't have time to do this and it is a little over the horizon at the moment or similar comments.
    This must surely take some priority. The headlights you see over the horizon may not be what would would like to see from your loyal customers.

• sandywiggins
    sandywiggins
    Community Member

Please, please add a resolve duplicates feature! Ugh!

• Steveo007
    Steveo007
    Community Member

Another vote for the ability to identify and then remove duplicates please ! Thank you

Other than that - loving Version 8 for the Mac !

• ronholledge
    ronholledge
    Community Member

1password has been destroyed with this new update lots and lots of duplicates and no way of deleting them. I may have to transfer to another password manager to get out of this muddle.

• roughneck
    roughneck
    Community Member

I've got the same problem as mentioned before regarding the migration from 7 to 8. This is very, very annoying and almost unusable with thousands of duplicates.

• Hi @ctphoto, @CFS, @mikefoley, @sandywiggins, @Steveo007, and @ronholledge,

Thanks for all the feedback here. I've filed votes on behalf of all those who mentioned bringing a duplicate remover tool to 1Password 8 in our internal tracker. While I don't have any updates to share currently, I understand how it would be useful and appreciate you taking the time to tell us it's important to you. 👍🏻

For anybody seeing a large volume of duplicate items after recently migrating to 1Password 8, please get in touch with us at support@1Password.com. We handle these on a case by case basis as the cause isn't always the same and we want to provide solutions that work for each individual's set up. You can include to a link to your post here in your email so we can link the two together.

Let me know if there are any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-615

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member

Wow. I'm in the process of moving to 8 from 6, and am still on 7. I was out of sync via dropbox, so was going to import from both my home and work computer - thinking I'd get what was out of sync and eliminate duplicates.

Wow again - totally scared now. As I am still on 7 (on one computer) and not moved from 6 on the other computer - any suggestions? And where is the duplicate (identical) remover on 7 on the mac? Can't find it.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member

Ok, I'm an I/T guy, so I plowed in. Found eliminate duplicates in 7, but you can only run this against a single vault, not across vaults.

I'm still a bit shy on importing from computer 2, as I don't know if it will do an enmass import like it did with computer 1. I may have to do that one vault by vault. I also note that V6 was blown away during the 7 merge, so wouldn't even know how to get to the 6 backup data on that one. I did make a backup on computer 2, and copied it off to the desktop, but it is a .zip file vs. a .1pif or .csv, so have no clue if that would work.

So, yes, even if you are in the process - there are no help guides on making this conversion work properly without duplicates occurring and then, of course, you can't eliminate them in V8.

Still, any suggestions welcome.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member

Ok, so HERE'S a big question - let's say I abandon this entirely. How do I get back to 1password6 and just stay with what I have?
    V6 seems to be gone.

• OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member

You can add my vote for a "search duplicate" also.
    although I'm not stuck with hundreds of duplicates, I've quite a few.

It would be nice to have a feature which allows to search for duplicates per field for example:

• search across (all) vault(s), field type : URL fields (because an item can have 1 or more URL field) for duplicate URLs
      (or field name "website")
      same for the fields "username" and "password" (use field name or type)

This way, I could search for example for all items which have duplicate URLs
    or search all items which have both URL and password duplicate

If the "AND" / "OR" operator is too complex, a simple search for duplicates in 1 field would be nice already

• amonsosanz
    amonsosanz
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

+1

I'm a new user and the app/service looks great so far, but this is an important functionality that I'm surprised isn't available.

In my case, I've imported passwords from various sources (LastPass, KeePass, a couple of browsers, excel, notes, etc) and have tons of duplicate entries.

Any help the app can provide with organizing all this mess would be great.

Thank you!

• wizofoz
    wizofoz
    Community Member

+1 on request for duplicate passwords remover

• beatinpath
    beatinpath
    Community Member

ONe more vote for a duplicate detective.

• eolson
    eolson
    Community Member

+1 for me as well. Extremely frustrating.

• eolson
    eolson
    Community Member

@ctphoto it's totally fixable, it's more a question of whether they will, or where it is in their dev priority list.

• mkpl
    mkpl
    Community Member

Hey 1Password Team Mates, any update or developments on a duplicate removal/merge tool? I'm noticing lots of other commenters saying this has been a requested feature for a number of years with no action taken. Please add my vote (if that makes a difference). I took the plunge on a subscription a while back in a quest to finally clean up my chaotic mess of passwords. There are some 1Password features I really value, but... my vault is still a chaotic mess because there are so many duplicates and it never feels worth my time to spend hours hand-deleting them all. I'm probably going to move on to another service when my subscription comes up for renewal unless there's some sort of tool for handling duplicates. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.