Version 6 to Version 7 on a Mac and IOS 15

I currently have a license for 1password 6 that I purchased on March 8th of 2016. I have the software both on my Macbook Pro and my iPhone 13 Pro Max running IOS 15. I love the ease of use of version 6, but I do not want a subscription to version 7 on my Macbook Pro or my iPhone device. Is there a method of upgrading to version 7 on both devices without subscribing monthly? I appreciate your feedback.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15.7

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @mfsgms! Standalone licenses were available for sale for 1Password 7 for well over two years. As it became clear to us we’d be taking a different direction with 1Password 8, we retired sales of standalone licenses for version 7, knowing they wouldn't be available for 8 (and not wanting anyone to feel cheated that they couldn't upgrade). If you've not had a look at the benefits of 1Password membership, I'd recommend you have a look at that -- it's by far the best way to use 1Password today, and the only way to use 1Password with the upcoming version 8 on Mac and iOS. Let us know if you have any questions.

• So what you are telling me is that I paid for a license several years ago, and now I can't upgrade unless I do some sort of a monthly plan? Don't get me wrong, I love the software, it works wonders, I would just like to have the opportunity to upgrade without some sort of a monthly subscription. The next thing you are going to tell me is that version 6 will be dead soon, and I will have no choice. I certainly hope that is not the case. Thank you for your information,

• I see that I can get 1password for 2.99/mo. billed annually. Does this include both my Macbook Pro and my iPhone 13 Pro Max? How would I upgrade both without having to pay twice?

• ag_anaag_ana 1Password Alumni

@mfsgms:

So what you are telling me is that I paid for a license several years ago, and now I can't upgrade unless I do some sort of a monthly plan? Don't get me wrong, I love the software, it works wonders, I would just like to have the opportunity to upgrade without some sort of a monthly subscription.

The monthly (or annual) subscription is the only option to upgrade. If you purchased 1Password in the past however, I am sure the sales team will be able to help somehow :) You can reach out to them at [email protected] :+1:

The next thing you are going to tell me is that version 6 will be dead soon, and I will have no choice. I certainly hope that is not the case.

1Password 6 has been discontinued for more than 3 years now, so from a development perspective it has been dead for a while. We have been working and updating 1Password 7 in the last years, and 1Password 8 is out in Early Access version too, so we really recommend updating at this point.

I see that I can get 1password for 2.99/mo. billed annually. Does this include both my Macbook Pro and my iPhone 13 Pro Max?

Yes, it includes all your devices in a single subscription.

How would I upgrade both without having to pay twice?

After you have signed up for a subscription on one device, simply add your 1Password account to all your other devices:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

• I see 1Password is about to put out 1Password version 8. Should I just wait for that to come out before I make the jump? I am so confused!!!

• Hi @mfsgms:

The easiest way would be to upgrade to a 1Password membership now and use 1Password 7, and ensure everything is as you expect during the migration process, and be ready for when 1Password 8 comes out.

If you'd like to get in touch with our migration team and have them walk through the migration process with you, emailing them at [email protected] would be the easiest method.

Jack

• Okay, I think I am ready to go from version 6 to 7, but I don't have all this information. I just log into my account using my master password, I do not have "your setup code". I have no idea what that even is! I consider myself very tech savvy, but this seems a bit convoluted! I would appreciate any and all assistance you can provide. I just don't want to lose all the data I have on 1password version 6.8.9.

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@mfgms

Have you created a membership? If not, that will be the first step. Be sure to save the Emergency Kit when prompted. If you have emailed up feel free to continue that conversation and we can help you get going. It may be preferred as it is a direct line of communication. That way you can ask all the questions you need as you go.

• How do you create a membership?
    What is "emailed up feel free to continue that conversation"?
    Will my current version of 1Password continue to function as it has?

• jack.plattenjack.platten

Team Member

Hi @mfsgms:

You can create a 1Password membership by signing up here: https://start.1password.com/sign-up?l=en

As I mentioned above, we do have a migration team who are very helpful, and would be happy to help you get all of your data migrated into a 1Password account as well as discuss any applicable discounts with you. They can be reached via email at [email protected].

Will my current version of 1Password continue to function as it has?

As 1Password 6 has been discontinued for more than 3 years now, we simply can't guarantee that functionality will continue to remain as expected as operating systems and browsers make updates. As 1Password is a security product, we would strongly recommend using the most up to date version of 1Password possible.

Jack

• Okay, I have downloaded and installed 1Password 7 and I have it running on my iPhone and my Macbook Pro. However, I have duplicates, and I am unable to sync from the iPhone to the Mac and from the Mac to the iPhone. It is currently set up for iCloud, but there is no where on the phone to set up the WLAN following these instructions... Unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad and select Settings > Sync to begin syncing. When prompted enter the secret shown below. There is no > Sync in settings on my iPhone.

Please help! I have been at this for a very long time!

Thank you!
    Mike

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @mfsgms

If you haven't yet reached out to our migration team as Jack indicated I'd strongly encourage you to do so. None of what you mentioned here is applicable anymore:

and I am unable to sync from the iPhone to the Mac and from the Mac to the iPhone. It is currently set up for iCloud, but there is no where on the phone to set up the WLAN following these instructions... Unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad and select Settings > Sync to begin syncing. When prompted enter the secret shown below. There is no > Sync in settings on my iPhone.

1Password doesn't sync through iCloud or WLAN anymore. Our migration team will be happy to provide more details and can get you in a good state so that you have access to all of your 1Password data on all of your devices. :+1:

Ben

• Okay, how does one get in contact with the "Migration Team"? I have emailed the addresses above with little to no feedback. ([email protected]) Also, I was supposed to get a discount when I signed up for three years, or at least that was what I was told. If 1Password no longer uses WLAN or iCloud to sync, then why is it in the preferences, and it was also a notification when I was going through the process of signing up for 1Password 7.

Team Member

Hi @mfsgms:

I've located your recent emails to us. Our migration team will reply shortly and they'll be able to get you all switched over, and discuss any applicable discounts with you. Keep an eye out for their response!

Jack

ref: VFW-49913-268

• Thank you, keeping an eye out!

I appreciate all your assistance!!

Mike

Team Member

You're very welcome! :smile:

• Still no word from the migration team.
    Is there a way of going back to my older version? I’m growing more and more frustrated with this process. I had zero issues with the version that I had been using for years. I appreciate those that have tried to help, I do, but I’m not getting any assistance now that I have installed this most recent version.
    Everything seems to be working, but I still have WLAN and sync in my preferences on my MacBook Pro. (See images above in my previous post.) I just want to be sure I have everything set up correctly. 1Password was much more user friendly compared to this newest version, just my humble opinion.
    Sorry, I just needed to vent about this!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@mfsgms

I apologize for the frustration. The migration team would be best positioned to help further with this. I'm sorry they haven't been able to respond more quickly — they're highly in demand at the moment and are working to get back to everyone as quickly as possible. I've made sure your question about your MacBook Pro is included in your ticket with them. Please hang tight, they'll be back with you ASAP.

Ben

• OMAR

• Open

• Hi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file