Where are the password generation settings?

Options

After upgrading to the new Chrome extension, I tried generating a password. What happened to all the settings? No way to turn on/off numbers or special characters? What if a site doesn't allow special characters.

Don't get me wrong, it looks nicer than the older extension, but are we dumbing things down too much? :-)

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Here is an example of a site (usps.com) that requires passwords in a certain format. How would I configure the password generator to, for example, create a password with only upper case, lower case, and numbers?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajahn!

In your first screenshot, click here:

And select either Random Password or Memorable Password to edit the password details :+1:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, I see that now. Ok, thanks. I guess the default normally works. By the way, I'm really loving the newer version, after using v6 for so many years. Plus the Family membership is great for our family of 4. So glad I finally pulled the trigger after years of considering the membership. :)

• @ajahn:

That's exactly why we created the Smart Password generator type, making the default work as many places as possible! It relies on rules provided by the website (in the passwordrules attribute in the HTML of the form), or if the website doesn't have rules provided, it also checks a list compiled in part by Apple of similar password rules, in case someone has contributed it before the website developers have had a chance to define their rules in a way that password managers can easily read. For more details on how the Smart Password Generator works, this blog post digs a bit further into it: A smart(er) password generator

Jack

This discussion has been closed.