To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

is it possible to import my notes from the Standard Notes app using a decrypted .txt file?

Options
winterludes
winterludes
Community Member

Standard Notes is an encrypted notes app I've been using, and would like to transfer all my notes to the notes section of 1Password so they're all in one place. I can export a decrypted .txt file from Standard Notes, is it possible to import this into 1Password as a series of notes?

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:"standard notes"

Comments

• Hi @winterludes:

Are these export files a text file per note, or a singular text file that contains all of your notes? While 1Password cannot handle this directly, one of our volunteer moderators, MrC, has written a converter suite for importing into 1Password that can handle text files and import them as separate notes. The link to the converter suite and the documentation is here: https://1password.community/discussion/101693/moving-to-1password-from-another-password-manager#latest

Let me know!

Jack

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@winterludes

I don't know that app - can you look to see if there are clear and unique separators between the notes in the export file? Often these types of apps use a simple blank line which may be indistinguishable from blank lines within a single note itself.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2021
    Options

@winterludes

I've downloaded Standard Notes, created some sample notes, and exported them (as a backup). This produces separate text files, one per-note, which is create.

The converter suite has a txt2notes converter, which will convert those text files directly, and create a 1Password 1PIF file which you can import directly in 1Password 7.

There are two issues that should be addressed, to import these notes better:

1. The title of each note file contains a Standard Notes ID, which should be removed from the Title before import into 1Password. The converter could be updated to do this.

2. This converter by default skips empty notes, but it is possible you and any user would like empty notes imported, as the Title itself could be the primary data. I can add an option to not skip empty notes.

Below are two screenshots showing the conversion and after import into 1Password.

Let me know if you are interested and I can provide a quick update to address the items above.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2021
    Options

@winterludes

Last weekend, I added the updates you’d want. Let us know if you are still with us.

• winterludes
    winterludes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, yes I am. Thank you for doing this for me! I've just had a couple busy days. This is great! I'm going to try it and see if I can get it to work.

whitney

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@winterludes

I need to post the update. I’ll send you instructions in the morning.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @winterludes, let us know how it goes :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@winterludes

I've posted the update to the converter suite, which you can now download and run.

The converter you will use is the txt2notes converter. Follow the directions at the link above, and then the README will walk you through the process.

To export your Standard Notes, save them as an unencrypted backup, to your Desktop. For simplicity, rename that final backup folder to SNB, which I'll refer to in the example command below.

As mentioned earlier, you may want to use the two new options added to the txt2notes converter: --keepempty and --titlefilter. Those options are explained in the README it the txt2notes section (search "txt2notes", or "Text Files (to Secure Notes)".

The conversion command to run would then be:

perl convert.pl txt2notes -v --keepempty --titlefilter 's/-[a-f\d]+\.txt$//' ~/Desktop/SNB/Items/Note

This converts each note inside the Desktop/SNB/Items/Note folder into a Secure Note, and packages them into a 1Password 1PIF, which 1Password can then import.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

This discussion has been closed.