Add a Family member that already uses 1password

Options
Deeb99
Deeb99
Community Member

Hi, I have a family account and I want to invite my boyfriend to my family account, but he already have a 1Password individual account.
If he opens the invitation link, the systems ask him to create a new account. Will he lose all his passwords already saved in his account if he continues with the instructions given by the invitation link that he received?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Deeb99:

Glad to hear you're planning on sharing 1Password with your boyfriend! When your boyfriend accepts your invitation to join your family account, he'll create an entirely new 1Password account. This won't make any changes to the data he has saved currently in his 1Password individual account. He can either keep his individual account as well and use both, or move the data from the individual account into his vaults in the family account and then delete the individual account.

Let me know if you need any more help along the way!

Jack

• jschwartz
    jschwartz
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. My fiancé has a personal account and I want her to join my family account. She has to create a brand new username/account and can't have her personal account linked/migrate to the family account? Seems counterintuitive. Thanks.

• Hey @jschwartz

I am having the same issue. My fiancé has a personal account and I want her to join my family account. She has to create a brand new username/account and can't have her personal account linked/migrate to the family account? Seems counterintuitive. Thanks.

In this case, the best option would be for you to invite your fiancé to the 1Password Family account, have her accept the invitation to the family account, attach her newly created 1Password Family account and the 1Password Individual account to the same 1Password app, and have her move the data from the 1Password Individual account to the 1Password Family account.

I would be more than happy to assist you and @Deeb99 with this privately via email. Let me know if either of you are interested and I would be glad to get the ball rolling! :)

• jschwartz
    jschwartz
    Community Member
    Options

@joshua_1p

That would be great as I want to get her migrated over tonight and get a refund on her personal account. Thanks in advance.

• Hey @jschwartz

That is awesome to hear. I will be reaching out shortly. Please be on the lookout for an email from 1Password Support and we can continue from there.

• koinoniakid
    koinoniakid
    Community Member
    Options

I had an individual account and my wife logged in to 1password on her computer with my log in credentials. So, I decided to try the family plan today. But, now that she has her own 1password account, I can't figure out a way to give her access to my database. She has no desire to have her own database of passwords etc. I do not want to go through each individual entry and give her access but to the entire database. i am wondering if I should go back and downgrade to the old individual account. Can you help me out?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @koinoniakid

If there is no desire to have any level of separation then an individual account may very well be sufficient for your needs. Alternatively, if you do want to have the ability to have your own items as well as your own credentials for 1Password, you can move everything you do want to share into the Shared vault within your 1Password Families membership.

Ben

• spland
    spland
    Community Member
    Options

This information posted here is useful, but it should be a lot easier to find. I should not have to look in the community forums to find this out, it should be posted here, on the page about switching account types:

https://support.1password.com/change-account-type/

This page assumes you are the organiser

• Thanks for your feedback @spland! I'll let the team know and see if we can make it smoother in the future. :smile:

Jack

• kdhowe1
    kdhowe1
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to spland's comment. I almost didn't upgrade to families because I couldn't find the information I was looking for (how to migrate existing accounts, sharing feature details, etc) anywhere on the main webpage.

• Hi @kdhowe1:

Thanks for your additional feedback, and I'll let the team know your thoughts on this as well. Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future! :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.