Is the Google Chrome extension as bad as I think it is, or am I doing something wrong?

Options
davelasker
davelasker
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I am a brand new 1Password user. I installed it a few days ago. I have the Family plan, and we use it on both Windows 10 and a Mac. We use the Chrome browser.

On both computers, we find the Chrome extension very difficult and frustrating to use. Here are some of the issues we have with it:

• Not all username or password fields are recognized as such, so the 1P icon doesn't always appear. It automatically appears on some websites but not others.
  • When I use the extension to generate a new password, sometimes there is no option to save the new password in 1P. I have to go to the generator history, retrieve it, and copy and paste it into the login entry.
  • When I use the extension to generate a new password, and I am able to save it in 1P, the new password is sometimes deleted from the password field on the web page I am working with at the time I save it.
  • Most of my original passwords were stored in Chrome's built-in password manager. If I change a password and fill it using 1P, after the fill, it sometimes gets replaced with the old password stored in Chrome. I found I have to manually delete the old password from Chrome's manager to get 1P to work.
  • If a site supports 2FA, the message at the top of its 1P entry to enable 2FA doesn't always appear, and the menu item to "Scan QR Code" doesn't always appear. It does work on some websites but not others. EDIT: I figured out how to add the OTP field in the extension.
  • It's not possible to filter on tags in the extension (or if it is, please tell me how).

Has the Chrome extension always had these issues? Are there solutions or workarounds to any of my problems?

Thanks for the help!

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 11.6.1

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davelasker ,
    Welcome to 1Password! :)

I'll try to address all of the issues/points you've raised here.

Not all username or password fields are recognized as such, so the 1P icon doesn't always appear. It automatically appears on some websites but not others.

That really depends on how the website is built/designed. Every website is different and most of them don't adhere to a certain standards. While it is an uphill battle to get 1Password to show up and make the right suggestions every time, we also need to make sure to keep a certain balance between not being too intrusive/aggressive and showing up everywhere (even where not needed), and finding the right places to show up.

If you need to save something in 1Password but it doesn't show up, right-click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Save Login".
    If you need to autofill something but 1Password doesn't show up, click the extension icon and autofill from there.
    You can also help us improve 1Password further by sending us links to webpages where 1Password doesn't work as expected and we'll be happy to improve it there in upcoming updates for all users :)

When I use the extension to generate a new password, sometimes there is no option to save the new password in 1P. I have to go to the generator history, retrieve it, and copy and paste it into the login entry.

If you use the generator, utilizing the "Copy" button will allow you to paste the password but won't trigger the save/update prompt. Only the "Autofill" button triggers it. Also, if 1Password automatically suggests a new strong password and you select it, the save/update prompt will trigger.

In case you use the "Copy" button, after you paste the password into the field you should see the "Save in 1Password" button showing up under the field, allowing you to trigger that save/update prompt. In edge cases where it doesn't show up at all, right-clicking the 1Password extension icon and selecting "Save Login" will trigger that prompt for you :)

When I use the extension to generate a new password, and I am able to save it in 1P, the new password is sometimes deleted from the password field on the web page I am working with at the time I save it.

That doesn't sound right. 1Password doesn't delete/clear fields that were autofilled, that sounds like some weird javascript checks that are running on the form.
    Do you have an example website where you experienced this so we can open a test account there and see what is happening exactly?

Most of my original passwords were stored in Chrome's built-in password manager. If I change a password and fill it using 1P, after the fill, it sometimes gets replaced with the old password stored in Chrome. I found I have to manually delete the old password from Chrome's manager to get 1P to work.

1Password was not meant to be used side-by-side with an additional password manager. We strongly recommend you disable Chrome's built-in password manager to avoid such situations where something else is autofilling in addition to 1Password's autofill: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

If a site supports 2FA, the message at the top of its 1P entry to enable 2FA doesn't always appear, and the menu item to "Scan QR Code" doesn't always appear. It does work on some websites but not others. EDIT: I figured out how to add the OTP field in the extension.

We use a combination of an open-sourced database of 2FA websites (https://2fa.directory/) and our own database to determine which websites support 2FA and display that purple banner when 2FA is available according to that.
    However, the open directory and our own database do not contain all of the billions of websites out there, so there might be times where that banner won't show up to notify you.

I'm glad you found how to scan and add QR codes even without that banner :)

It's not possible to filter on tags in the extension (or if it is, please tell me how).

Simply type in a tag's name in the search field and it will show you all login entries that contain that tag. You can type in multiple tags names and 1Password will show you logins that contain all of these tags.

I hope you'll find this information helpful. :+1:

• davelasker
    davelasker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

The info in your reply was very helpful, thanks!

• davelasker
    davelasker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

2 websites I used today where 1P didn't recognize username/password fields were: Login.gov (used for Global Entry and other govt services) and venmo.com (on the web).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davelasker ,
    Thanks for the followup.

I tested both websites on my Mac and 1Password showed up in both: http://recordit.co/hou4cN7L3M

Can you please confirm that:

• The 1Password extension is installed in your browser and you can see its icon in the browser's toolbar like in my video above.
    • That 1Password is unlocked.
    • That the login pages in my video are identical to the ones you land in when trying to log into these websites.
  • davelasker
    davelasker
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron

It's likely that 1Password was locked. But on most websites, when it is locked, I get a prompt to unlock it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are correct @davelasker ,
    If 1Password is locked and you click inside a username/password field, you should be prompted to unlock 1Password, or at least see the little 1Password icon on the right corner of the field with a padlock drawing on it that'll indicate it is locked.

As always, if you encounter a website(s) where that is not the case, feel free to share it here and we'll be happy to investigate (and fix if needed) the situation :)

This discussion has been closed.