1PW 8 Beta won't accept my Master PW, so I can't sign into it. [Download latest beta to resolve]

Options
Lorraine_
Lorraine_
Community Member

I just downloaded 1PW 8 Beta, and when it opens and I enter my PW, it tells me that "we weren't able to sign into your account" and suggests I update details. Am I going to have to change my Master PW to use 1PW 8? That would make me very unhappy! Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a way to fix this?
I can still log into 1PW 7, both online and on my Mac, thanks goodness!

ref: dev/core/core#7409

1Password Version: 8.5.0-46 beta
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOs 11.6.1

Comments

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member
    Options

Just realized this should have been posted in the Beta Forum -- sorry!

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same problem with the Mac version.

I just downloaded 1PW 8 Beta, and when it opens and I enter my PW, it tells me that "we weren't able to sign into your account" and suggests I update details. Am I going to have to change my Master PW to use 1PW 8? That would make me very unhappy! Is there something I'm doing wrong, or a way to fix this?
    I can still log into 1PW 7 online.

1Password Version: 8.5.0-46 beta
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: macOs 11.6.1

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Lorraine_. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. 1Password 8 for Mac doesn't have different password requirement than 1Password.com. If your account password works on 1Password.com then it'll work in the app. To help us get to the bottom of this please reproduce the issue and note the time, then send us a diagnostic report.

• Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and select Send Diagnostics
    • Attach the diagnostics file from your downloads folder to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the Support ID #: [#GGF-42566-573]

Thanks again.
    Lorraine

• Ben
    Options

Received; thanks. Replying via email now. :) Let's continue the conversation there.

Ben

• Hannawin
    Hannawin
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem with the 1P8 for Mac beta. Master password not accepted but working fine on 1Password.com and other PC's/iOS devices. Would be interested in the fix if discovered?

• Manalishi
    Manalishi
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Unfortunately, I’m expriencing the exact same problem. 1Password 7 on Mac and 1password.com both work fine with the same Master Password, as does 1Password 8 on Windows 10. With 1Password 8 on Mac however, I get the same error message as @Lorraine_ and @Hannawin.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

The initial investigation from our engineering team points to some sort of issue with the SSL certificate configuration on the Macs that are experiencing this problem. One user reported that, as a troubleshooting step, they created a new macOS user account and were able to use 1Password 8 for Mac to sign in within that account. You might give that a try and see if things work as expected that way. That could help narrow down the issue.

I'd also be interested to find if you have anything on your Mac or network that monitors outbound network activity or does SSL interception / deep packet inspection.

We are still investigating on our end, and we have made some improvements to how we handle SSL interception on Windows, but those improvements are platform specific and haven't made it over to Mac yet. Until this thread, to my knowledge, we hadn't seen any reports of this problem affecting Macs, but here we are. 😬

Please let me know if you try a new user account and if things work there, and also if you can think of any software or network configuration you have that might be different from other more typical setups.

Ben

• Hannawin
    Hannawin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for the response.

I've tried the new user account approach you suggested above, but still having the same issue when attempting to log into the 1P8 Beta application - although working fine in the new user account when I log in to 1P online.

No, I'm not running any kind of AntiVirus/Malware/NetworkMonitoring software that would be intercepting SSL traffic.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Hannawin. Your case may be a different issue then. I'd like to gather the logs to see if we're seeing the same errors as the other cases, or if this is something else entirely. Please see the instructions I posted here to send us the logs (substituting in your forum username for Lorraine_'s).

Once we review the logs we should have a better idea. :+1:

Ben

• Hannawin
    Hannawin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, thanks. I've sent the log files through to the support+forum@1Password.com email account. It was 15 minutes ago though and I haven't yet received a reply from the Bitbot with a support ID number.

• Hannawin
    Hannawin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, just received the support ID from the Bitbot: [#SYM-12157-918]

Thanks
    Paul

• hrosenman
    hrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

Also having this issue. No time to do a diagnostic right now, but I am monitoring this thread and will do one later on if no solution is posted.

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    Options

Same trouble here. Too irksome to deal with now. Will likely wait for the release version and a presumably seamless transition from 1P7.

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    Options

Sync between my devices has been working fine under 1P7.

I managed to get in to my online account. However, you might distinguish between the various passwords and keys one uses. If I'm not mistaken, the term 'master password' is used for both one's 1P vault, and also for login to myPassword online. Confusing, since these are different.

The 'secret key' is, of course, another thing.

Enough for today with the beta.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hannawin:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: SYM-12157-918

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @hrosenman :+1: For quicker resolution, you might want to send us a diagnostics report already anyway, as you are assuming that you are both using the same configuration, which might not be the case.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoggieMan:

If I'm not mistaken, the term 'master password' is used for both one's 1P vault, and also for login to myPassword online. Confusing, since these are different.

Not exactly, the account password unlocks your 1Password account, and all the vaults inside it.

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

With help from 1P support I deleted my 'primary' vault, keeping my (basically identical) 'personal' vault. That single vault now syncs fine across my devices.

I now use the 'master password' I'd created with my emergency kit/secret key. (The original password I'd used to open the application seems no longer relevant.)

Taking another swing at the beta, I still get the original "We weren't able to sign into your account" and it suggests I update details. The latter options send me into a confusing loop. What next?

The application, 1password.com and my.1password.com all ask for the Emergency Kit info. That works.

• Ben
    Options

@DoggieMan

There is currently an issue with the 1Password 8 for Mac beta that prevents some customers from signing into the app, despite having the correct credentials. We're hoping to have that fixed up in an update soon. In the meantime I'd suggest sticking with 1Password 7 for Mac. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thank you, Ben. However long any delay might be, your update is appreciated.

Though I've never had a problem with entering credentials for 1P7 (or for any other websites), could my routine use of the Dvorak keyboard layout make a difference in the beta?

• Ben
    Options

@DoggieMan

The problem in this case is related to SSL certificates, rather than the entry of the credentials. I'm afraid using a different keyboard layout would not impact that.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

We have made some changes that we believe will improve the experience in this regard for Mac users. We'd really appreciate if some folks that were having this problem could try the nightly build and see if you're able to sign in with that version. To try it, open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and change the release channel to nightly. Then select 1Password > Check for Updates. Once you've updated to the nightly build please try signing into your account and let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• _thomas_
    _thomas_
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

I have the same issue that I can't login and the diagnostic file hints to the fact that the CA certs can't be loaded. Currently I'm on version #80500083 (Beta channel). I changed the release channel to nightly, however it does not seem to update from the beta version and it tells me I'm up to date. Is there any way to force to update to the nightly version? Is maybe the update routine also affected by not being able to load the CA certificates?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2022
    Options

Sorry about that. You're absolutely right; this does also affect the update process. Doh. I'm double checking on some direct links and will get back to you shortly.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay. We were getting our ducks lined up. Please try downloading this beta version and installing it:

https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1PasswordBeta.zip

Once installed please let me know if you're able to sign in and access your items as expected. 🙏🏻

Ben

• DoggieMan
    DoggieMan
    Community Member
    Options

Beta login successful. I wonder how much drama this one caused.

Thank you, Ben.

• Glad to hear this helped, @DoggieMan. And we're here to assist if anything further comes up!

• _thomas_
    _thomas_
    Community Member
    Options

It works also for me. Thank you for the new installer!

• thomas , this is very gratifying! We'll pass on these results to the development team. Thanks for letting us know. 😃

This discussion has been closed.