Looking forward to better integration with masked emails

Options
Shruggie
Shruggie
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I recently moved to Fastmail, partly because of the integration with 1Password.
The actual feature works great - the emails get forwarded immediately, and as far as I can tell, they stop coming when I delete them as well, though I haven't tried that a lot yet.

However, the integration in 1Password is missing most places, and buggy where it does show up.

• For one thing, I still haven't seen the "create masked email" feature on iOS. My iPhone is where I intended to use the feature since multitasking over to Fastmail is tedious on mobile, so this is disappointing.
  • On Firefox on desktop, where it does work, it keeps disappearing. I have to log on to my account and manually add it whenever this happens. There's no error, there's no warning - it just stops working, and everything looks like it never existed in the first place.
  • Finally, I am really surprised that there is no option to create a masked email address from the + menu in the app. Wouldn't this be a prominent place one looks for this feature? I mean - the email field in the browser is perhaps just as obvious, but it took me quite a while to find out that that this is the ONLY place you can create it.

Anyway, the v8 mac app looks excellent; it's much faster and native-looking than Electrons reputation would have it be, and the iOS apps are stable as rocks as always, so I'm sure you'll figure this integration out in the end as well!

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: MacOS 12.1, iOS 15.2

Comments

• @Shruggie

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I have a few questions regarding your initial feedback:

For one thing, I still haven't seen the "create masked email" feature on iOS. My iPhone is where I intended to use the feature since multitasking over to Fastmail is tedious on mobile, so this is disappointing.

Where exactly are you hoping to create masked emails on iOS? Is it specifically when setting up an app, or when you're using your browser. The Fastmail integration is built in with the new version of 1Password for Safari. Do you have the extension enabled?

On Firefox on desktop, where it does work, it keeps disappearing. I have to log on to my account and manually add it whenever this happens. There's no error, there's no warning - it just stops working, and everything looks like it never existed in the first place.

We haven't heard of this behaviour from any of our other users. Have you noticed anything in particular that affects integration between 1Password and Fastmail - like a browser or extension update? When checking integration, does it show it has not been enabled on both 1Password and Fastmail?

Finally, I am really surprised that there is no option to create a masked email address from the + menu in the app. Wouldn't this be a prominent place one looks for this feature? I mean - the email field in the browser is perhaps just as obvious, but it took me quite a while to find out that that this is the ONLY place you can create it.

I definitely agree, we can improve here as I can see the value of being able to create a masked email directly in the desktop client. While I can't say for sure when or if this will be available, I've shared your feature request with the appropriate team so they can take it into consideration.

Anyway, the v8 mac app looks excellent; it's much faster and native-looking than Electrons reputation would have it be, and the iOS apps are stable as rocks as always, so I'm sure you'll figure this integration out in the end as well!

We appreciate your kind words and are always elated to hear the love for 1Password 8 that many of our users have developed since starting to use it. I do hope we can work together to manage some of these friction points you've mentioned with Fastmail.

• Shruggie
    Shruggie
    Community Member
    Options

Where exactly are you hoping to create masked emails on iOS? Is it specifically when setting up an app, or when you're using your browser. The Fastmail integration is built in with the new version of 1Password for Safari. Do you have the extension enabled?

In both apps and websites, when creating new accounts or even just in any email formatted field.

We haven't heard of this behaviour from any of our other users. Have you noticed anything in particular that affects integration between 1Password and Fastmail - like a browser or extension update? When checking integration, does it show it has not been enabled on both 1Password and Fastmail?

No, not really. But I was in the 1Password 8 beta, so the app was frequently upgraded.
    I've downgraded to the 7 since then, and that might have fixed the problem.

We appreciate your kind words and are always elated to hear the love for 1Password 8 that many of our users have developed since starting to use it. I do hope we can work together to manage some of these friction points you've mentioned with Fastmail.

Great! :)

• @Shruggie

Thanks for following up. You mentioned:

In both apps and websites, when creating new accounts or even just in any email formatted field.

Can you confirm whether you see the option to create a masked email on our test page here. Is the option missing from both Safari on iOS or 1Password in your browser on your Mac?

• Shruggie
    Shruggie
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle Yep, it shows on both platforms. I guess it's a combination of being "disconnected" from the feature as mentioned before, and possibly just random websites not conforming to the HTML standard -- I notice this (test?) site uses the type=email tag.

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Shruggie

It's entirely possible that the sites themselves are not confirming, as you mentioned. That said, we obviously want it to work where you need it. Do you have some examples where it's not working as expected? Perhaps we can update the clues we use to identify the fields and make more intelligent suggestions.

• Shruggie
    Shruggie
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle I'll try to remember to post any I find!

• Sounds great @Shruggie! We look forward to helping improve things for you. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.