changing passwords for sites that generate a password reset link in email workflow could be smoother

For sites that only allow password changes by creating a password reset link and emailing it, the natural 1password workflow results in creating a duplicate login entry for the site.

For example, take headspace.com. To change the password, as far as I can tell, it generates a link and emails it. Then clicking the link has a place for a new password to be entered and confirmed. Then if I click "Save in 1password" 1password will generate a new login entry with a blank username field holding the password.

Then to log back into the site, two options will show up, the old 1password login entry that holds the email/username and the old password along with a new one that just holds the new password.

Of course at this point, one can manually update one of the login items and delete the other, but maybe this could be smoother?

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PEBKAC!

When you use 1Password to create the new password, did you get a popup window offering you to save the new password? If you did, have you checked if you had the option to update an existing item instead of creating a new one?

• PEBKAC
    PEBKAC
    Community Member

I believe you are correct and there would have been a pull down menu or something to do an update instead. I will try to check next time this happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @PEBKAC, let us know what you find out :+1:

This discussion has been closed.