Autofill issue with Vanguard website?

s_kawalko
s_kawalko
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Several months ago Vanguard changed the home page for personal investors.

https://investor.vanguard.com/home

Now when I double click on my Vanguard login item in 1Password, 1Password will open the Vanguard home page in Safari and fill in my user name and password but when I click on the "Log In" button nothing happens. In order to login I need to clear the user name and password fields and enter them again either manually or via the browser plugin.

This also happens with the built-in browser on iPadOS (1Password 7.9.3 on iPadOS 15.2)

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: MacOS 11.6.2
Referrer: forum-search:vanguard

Comments

• @s_kawalko

Have you given1Password a complete quit?

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.

Next I would try saving a new login. Does that help? I was able to fill a faux set of credentials on the site. I am hoping a newly created login will work for you.

• s_kawalko
    s_kawalko
    Community Member

This problem started a couple of months ago and there has been at least 1 system update, at least 1 update to 1Password and several system restarts during this time. So, yes, I have completely restarted 1Password though not explicitly via the menubar method mentioned above. I've also created a new login and that does not fix the problem.

Just to be clear, the user name and password fields are being filled by 1Password. I can even display the password in cleartext by clicking on the eye icon next next to the password field. However, nothing happens when I click the "Log In" button.

This problem also occurs with 1Password on iPadOS and the built-in browser.

• @s_kawalko

We're having some trouble replicating the behaviour you've mentioned. I know you mentioned you tried creating a new Login, but for good measure would you be able to give it another try. To illustrate, I've recorded the steps I took to save and fill a Login using 1Password in Safari. You can access the recording here: https://cln.sh/dSH6qL

Can you try and replicate these steps and let me know if it resolves the issue for you?

• s_kawalko
    s_kawalko
    Community Member

I've created a new login item for Vanguard the steps shown in the video but it does not resolve the issue that I'm having.

As I stated in my original email, the problem occurs when I start in the 1Password app and double click on the login item for my account. 1Password will then open the home page in Safari and fill in my login information correctly but nothing seems to happen when I click on the "Log In" button next to the username and password fields.

I do not have this problem if I either clear the username and password fields manually and then use the browser extension to enter my login information a 2nd time or manually navigate to the page and then use the browser extension.

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022

@s_kawalko

I appreciate your efforts with the new item. I've done some more testing and, you're right, when I ask 1Password to "Open & Fill" from the app or extension - the site does not recognize the autofilled credentials. I'll file an issue with our development team to see if we can determine what's causing this behaviour. Hopefully we can resolve this behaviour in a future release.

In the meantime, I would recommend navigating to the site and using the icon in the Login fields to autofill your credentials. I realize this is not ideal, but should allow for a smoother sign in experience. I apologize for the disruption to your workflow here.

ref: dev/core/core#12054

• brianmbrophy
    brianmbrophy
    Community Member

I also have this issue (Firefox 95.0.2 Win 10 64 bit).

This login form is an example that does not work: https://ownyourfuture.vanguard.com/home/login#/

This login form is an example that does work: https://investor.vanguard.com/home

• Thanks for the URL samples @brianmbrophy!

You're right, the first example you shared, https://ownyourfuture.vanguard.com/home/login#/, is particularly problematic. I'll get this one filed with our development team as, well. In the meantime, I'd suggest using our drag and drop feature to autofill your credentials here. Again, apologies for the extra clicks to get things working here.

ref: dev/core/core#12074

• tonyle
    tonyle
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle Thanks for your follow-up. I'm having the same issue and look forward to a fix.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@tonyle Appreciate you reaching out and letting us know about your experience. I've added your voice to the ticket filed with our developers. Hopefully this can be fixed with a future version of the extension.

This discussion has been closed.