How to remove annoying 1password auto-promotion ads ?

Options

Hi,
I am fed up with 1passwords promotion ads each time I click on a username field.
It is written also larger than any thing else on the webpage !

It is really annoying, I do not want to see 1password written, just the icon on the right is enough, or give us the option to modify this.
It is completely inacceptable for all people like me sharing their screen via Teams/Zoom or any other video-conferencing tool

• People with few computer skills get lost by this pop-up as they do not have it on their computer
  • As you need to reduce the screen size for the screen sharing, your 1password ad get even bigger, similarly to ads being louder when watching TV

I am a professional and I can not allow 1password to use my celebrity to put ads on the screen I am projecting (unless you are paying me, but honestly I am not interested). How to remove your ads? I have to quit 1password otherwise.
Regards

1Password Version: Lastest version as of 20211230
Extension Version: Lastest version as of 20211230
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• _B_
    _B_
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely would not consider these ads -- its the user interface of the app. 1password isn't promoting their service; you already bought it.

That said, thought I'd comment here just to offer UI feedback -- I agree; for future iterations I'd love to see the pop-up prompt go away, and just have the small icon serve the same function. The popup is slow on my system anyway, so its often delayed and slow to interact with.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

They are annoying as hell. Like ads they promote the name, and as ads they are taking your precious screen real estate.

For people giving conferences, it is Extremely annoying.
    Look at this, you talk about Office 365 AI automation possibilities and what you get is this when pointing to the first field : "A" means "To" in French.

The interface was just asking for the email to send it, and 1password annoying popup get displayed in hundreds of people of my audience yesterday: unfortunately for you, not in a nice manner, to avoid people being confused with this popup, I had to explain that it is a password manager that is not working properly. There is no password entry on this webpage!!).

Seriously I wonder how people can pay with precious screen real-estate being stolen and ads like that.

• miles.parker
    miles.parker
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there,

I am sorry that you are seeing this pop-up regularly, the reason behind this is because 1Password has identified a field which it thinks you might want to fill in with a username/email/password etc... Because 1Password is not currently unlocked it is prompting you to unlock it so that it can fill in those fields for you.

I can understand if you find this feature a bit intrusive. You can dismiss 1Password easily by pressing the ESC key on your keyboard, or you can turn that behaviour off completely if you'd like, here's how:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in the toolbar of your browser
    2. Click Settings
    3. Toggle off 'Show autofill menu on field focus'.
  • Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    Options

This does not solve the problem, you are just telling to turn off autofill.
    Autofill is a must have feature !
    The problem is that you show this 1password auto-promotion ad.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    Options

That doesn't turn off the autofill functionality, it just turns off the drop-down from showing automatically when you click a field. If you click the button or press the down arrow when on a field, the drop-down will show again. You can also press the button on the browser toolbar and auto fill from there.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I prefer to have the least clicks, so this option On.
    Any way this option does not solve the problem. Here is what you get when this option is turned off:

No improvement, there is still this annoying 1password auto-promotion ad when you need to login to have your password being filled out.

• ag_chantelle
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Chriis

You're right, disabling "Show autofill menu on field focus" will require that you click twice before being prompted to unlock. I'm definitely in favour of eliminating clicks in the process. Clicking the icon in your browser toolbar, will automatically prompt you to use Windows Hello, eliminating the second click.

I'm curious, how would you feel about using a keyboard shortcut instead? Even with the inline menu disabled on field focus, using Ctrl+Shift+X will automatically prompt you to unlock using Windows Hello. If you have 1Password 8 for Windows installed, Ctrl+\ would also achieve the same thing, without requiring any clicks.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

"Clicking the icon in your browser toolbar, will automatically prompt you to use Windows Hello, eliminating the second click."
    Well, that's not very clever: you are eliminating 1 click and requesting people to move their mouse to the overside of the screen instead (and screens get bigger and bigger!). Both are bad design interface, eliminate your auto-promotion ad screen is the only solution. Furthermore it is not acceptable to have your auto-promotion screen being displayed live in front of an audience (unless you pay me, but I am not even interested by this). And for other people it is not acceptable as well given that your software is not free.

When doing the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+X, I do not have the Windows Hello prompt but this:

I am asked for the password even though I have Windows Hello. I should be asked for the fingerprint instead (for information, I have 1Password for Windows installed as well as 1Password for Chrome addon).

Your "Ctrl+\" shortcut does not work on a French keyboard: your software is doing nothing when pressing it (I guess it is a bug with your software not supporting the French keyboard setup: you have to type 'Alt gr' to get the '\').

• @Chriis

I see what you're saying. To be clear, the inline menu is not a promotion. This is an indication that 1Password considers the field you are focused on as fillable. In this case, we definitely should not be showing up in the "To:" field of the page you've shared. I'd be happy to share with our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour here. Would it be possible for you to collect some page details for us?

1. On the page exhibiting the behaviour, right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Send the downloaded .json file to us at support+x@1password.com with a link to our current discussion.

One of our team members will have a look and file it with our development team to correct for you.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Did you get the point of my post?
    I am not going to talk about this webpage issue (furthermore it is easy for you to find it with the information on it: it is Office 365 online)
    I am talking about your auto-promotion ad. If it is not a auto-promotion, give us the option to disable the name in the options of 1password.

Have you understood, that I am professionally sharing my screen worldwide for conferences with thousands of people and that I just do not want to have 1password showing up in anyway on our screen?!
    The question is very simple, I need a simple answer:

• you give me the option to remove it, I go for 1password
    • you do not, I am going elsewhere as your tool is not for a person sharing his screen daily during conferences
  • Hi @Chriis:

Thanks for updating us. We're always exploring ways to make 1Password in the browser easier to use and I've brought your feedback up with the team.

Additionally you touched on Windows Hello a bit earlier not behaving as expected. After launching 1Password for Windows, 1Password requires your account password once after restarting your computer or launching 1Password before Windows Hello can be used to unlock 1Password.

While giving a presentation, if you'd like to completely hide the in-line menu in 1Password when giving presentations or similar, right click 1Password in your browser's toolbar, select Settings. Disable the setting "Offer to fill and save passwords". After doing this, the only visibility in your browser that 1Password is in use will be the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, which is also where you will be able to fill logins from, rather than them being displayed in line.

Jack

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

"While giving a presentation, if you'd like to completely hide the in-line menu in 1Password when giving presentations or similar, right click 1Password in your browser's toolbar, select Settings. Disable the setting "Offer to fill and save passwords". After doing this, the only visibility in your browser that 1Password is in use will be the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, which is also where you will be able to fill logins from, rather than them being displayed in line."

Well with this option Off, 1password is not usable at all. How to you enter the login/password then ?

So your answer to my simple question is: NO, 1password is not solution for professionals like you, look for a competitor password manager. Fine, I quit 1password and this forum.
    Having your logo displayed on the fields is not a issue for me, but showing 1password name on the screen put me off, that's not for professional, it is just advertisement.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, you did not respond, how to use 1password with the option you proposed turned off?
    It does not seem possible to use 1password anymore when off

• @Chriis Thanks for the follow-up.

Indeed, when the "Offer to fill and save passwords" option is turned off, we cannot autofill logins with the 1Password inline menu suggestion. It will effectively remove the 1Password logo from all the input fields.

Instead, we can use the "Autofill" button from the extension dialog to fill the login fields. As shown below:

And you can manually save login items with the option turned off:

Suppose the above is not what you are looking for. In that case, my suggestion is to activate the "Offer to fill and save passwords", but deselect the "Show autofill menu on field focus". It will effectively hide the inline menu. Then, when you want to see it, you can click the blue 1Password icon in the field to view suggestions. In addition, you can quickly close the suggestions by clicking the esc key. As shown below:

Let us know what you think.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi, thank you very much for this answer and the screenshots illustrating this clearly.

I must say, after trying it, that in real life "Offer to fill and save passwords" turned Off cannot be used. Like anyone I want to login quickly and having to do several clicks on several parts of the screen just to login is dangerous: you just never log off to avoid loosing time to reconnect. Then there is no point having 1password!

With "Show autofill menu on field focus" turned Off, requires more clicks but it is usable, but it does Not solve the problem: there is still your auto-promotion ad show up when you are not login! This means that people will be annoyed during my conferences!! Please remove this annoying ad! or at least add a 3rd option to remove it! It is such an annoyance, that I have to cancel my subscription.

• kevin.li
    edited January 2022
    Options

@Chriis You're most welcome. I'm happy that I could be of your assistance.

I totally agree with you. Turning off the "Offer to fill and save passwords" defeats the purpose of using 1Password. Plus, the "Show autofill menu on field focus" feature needs more improvement for our user experience. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We have an internal issue request regarding the inline menu display. I've added your voice to the list. Our development team is fully aware of the issue, and we are devoted to improving 1Password. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Meanwhile, I understand that when you are at a conference, the inline menu can be intrusive. I'd like to offer another workaround for the situation:

We can right-click on the page to bring up the context menu, select 1Password - Password Manager, and then click on Hide on this page as shown below:

Currently, there are no settings for the "Hide on this page" option. Closing or refreshing the page won't affect the setting. However, when you quit the Chrome app completely, you will need to reset the option for the page. And this function is only for the exact page you're currently on.

• Chriis
    Chriis
    Community Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi, your proposition is not working unfortunately, as I am not using just one single website. And during opened questions, I am about to show any websites. Furthermore the websites that I show are the one I am using the most often !! so I can not 'Hide on this page'.

I can see you keep forcing people to show your auto-promotion ads. I don't care with the logo, I am perfectly fine with your 1password logo showing up on my screen, but remove your "1password" word ad !!!
    I am fed up with this unless discussion, I quit, I am looking at Dashlane and Bitwarden.

• Hi @Chriis:

Thanks for following up on this, and I'm sorry that our options weren't acceptable for your needs. Stay safe out there with choosing another password manager, and we're here for you if you'd like to give us another shot in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.