Direct 1Password interactions with form input fields

In Chrome, lately I'm noticing that some pages allow me to interact with 1Password directly at the field input level to fill in fields (or even log open up 1Password).

This is different than the previous behavior of needing to click on the 1Password entry in the browser extension to fill in credentials.

I'm just curious as to why this is - there is clearly something different HTML - wise between these types of pages. It's a tiny annoyance, because I'm never sure how a particular page will act with respect to this.

If you could explain or point me to an explanation of this difference in behavior, I'd appreciate it.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 12.1
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1PAssword sometimes interact directly with fields in forms

Comments

• Hi @weyus.

I noticed that you listed the 1Password classic extension (4.7.5.90) in the post. However, according to your description, I think you are referring to our current 1Password extension (2.2.1).

The current 1Password extension came with the new feature of "inline menu detection". It allows 1Password to detect, suggest and auto-fill in the regarding fields. In contrast, the classic extension won't interact with any fields on the page like your previous behaviour.

• weyus
    weyus
    Community Member

Kevin,

Hmmm. I definitely only see the 4.7.5.90 extension in my Chrome extensions list.

I see a 1Password Extension Helper process running on my Mac - is that it?

I'm confused.

How am I seeing both sets of functionality?
    How can I tell if I have the new extension?
    Should I remove the old Chrome extension and install the new one?

Thanks,
    Wes

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @weyus, sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this. The 1Password Extension Helper is a component of the classic extension and would not be used in the new extension, so that isn't it.

The best way to tell if you have the new extension is to look for it in your Chrome extensions list. The new extension is called "1Password - Password Manager", and its icon in the toolbar is blue/white. The classic extension is called "1Password extension (desktop app required)", and its icon is grey.

We do recommend removing the classic extension, since it is no longer receiving updates. If you don't have the new extension, you can install it from here: 1Password for Chrome

Make sure that the extension is pinned to your browser's toolbar so that it works properly: https://support.1password.com/missing-browser-button/#chrome

Hopefully that gets you all ready to go. However, if you still have questions or are seeing weird behaviors in your browser, please let us know the details. Additionally, if you can share screenshots, that would be a big help.

• weyus
    weyus
    Community Member

Joy,

Should I update the extensions for other browsers as well?

Wes

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@weyus I would definitely recommend it! We have links to 1Password for the other browsers here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

• weyus
    weyus
    Community Member

By the way, I did verify that my Chrome browser had both extensions installed which explains some of what I was seeing

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@weyus Gotcha, that makes sense. We typically recommend just having one of the extensions installed, since having both can cause issues. I hope things work well going forward!

This discussion has been closed.