"Looking for 1Password helper" Chrome extension issue

I just installed the 1Password extension on Chrome (Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit)) on a computer running Windows 10 Pro. I've used 1Password before on another computer plus my phone.

Instead of filling in username/passwords on the website, it runs for a few seconds, opens a new tab with the following message:

"Looking for the 1Password helper
The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."

What the heck does that mean?

When I look at the extension icon on chrome, the 1password is grayed out. I just installed on Microsoft Edge and extension works fine, and also the icon is in color.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 20H2

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bstep, hope you're doing well. The 1Password extension helper is a component that is required in order to run the classic extension. However, we do have a new extension available, and it sounds like this is what you have installed in Microsoft Edge. Let's help you get the new extension in Chrome as well.

Here are the steps I'd like for you to follow:

1. Copy and paste chrome://extensions/ to your address bar in Chrome.
    2. Look for 1Password extension (desktop app required).
    3. Click to remove it.
    4. Install our new extension via the Chrome Web Store: 1Password in Chrome

Here's more info about our new extension: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

After the new extension has been installed, please sign in and test things out. Let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.