Update on Custom Templates? Jan 2022

This feature has been talked about before, but it has not come up in the last year that I could see. "Templates" I assume refers to the "New Item" categories, such as "Login", "Driver License", "Medical Card", etc. What is the status of creating custom templates, and does it work in the mobile app yet? Our company would need this feature in order to make the jump to 1Password for Business.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:templates

Comments

• Hi @smkralik,

No news to share in the area of allowing the creation of custom categories that act as templates. That said, we do currently offer those using 1Password Business access to optional beta features that can enabled. One such feature is Custom Templates. These allow you to create an entirely new category, with the appropriate field types of your choosing, or add custom fields to most existing categories.

However, it's worth noting that this feature is still in beta and hasn't seen all that much attention in the last few years. Because of this, there are some limitations and missing functionality so this specific feature is not something to extensively rely on.

If this is a major road block for adopting 1Password in your organization, I'd highly encourage you to contact our Business team. They can work with you to address any concerns and requirements for your organization. You can contact them at business@1password.com.

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. I really had to laugh when I saw "drivers license" as a category for a business item in a business account. To be honest 1password is really lacking some basic business features. It would be awesome for us as well if we could add custom categories. (since we basically do setup the same items over and over again)

• I've gone ahead and passed on your feedback to our team. Thanks for sharing this, @dmir.

To keep things simple, all item categories are available in each 1Password account type, including the "Drivers License" category. I do see the value in being able to add custom categories beyond the current capability with the beta feature in 1Password Business.

• dmir
    dmir
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer @ag_max . Yeah sure the beta things is an option but a company with a certain size does not use beta features that are marketed as "don't rely on it". So it would be nice if custom templates would get finally stable status.

• @dmir, absolutely. Whether our team continues work on the custom templates as they exist now, or come up with a better solution, I'm sure we'll see this addressed in the future.

This discussion has been closed.