Mac beta 8.5.0.83, QR scanner doesn't appear in any context

Options
iWoodsman
iWoodsman
Community Member

With 8.5.0 B83 on Monterey, the QR code scanner fails to work using the app, or in Firefox or Safari. With the app, when I am editing a record and I click the QR scan button there is a brief beachball and then an error, "QR Code detection failed." On the browser plugins after a silent pause the error is "No QR code found for 2FA".
The QR code (provided by a Synology NAS) is displayed on the screen. I tried simplifying by closing all other windows and by putting the QR code into the clipboard, and verified the Screen Recording permission is set, but unlike other users reporting suboptimal QR behavior, I can't even get the QR reticle to appear (if it still exists)

1Password Version: 8.5.0 B83
Extension Version: (FF96.0.3) B2.2.5, (Saf 15.2) 2.2.2
OS Version: 12.1

Comments

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    Options

I can't even get the QR reticle to appear (if it still exists)

I don't think the QR window that you used to drag over the QR code exists any more. 1Password 8 just finds the QR code wherever it is on screen without any visual indication of it doing anything.

• Hey @iWoodsman:

As @snozdop mentioned (thanks for the assist :sunglasses:), there isn't a window to drag over the QR code. Just to rule everything out, are you having issues with the scanner functionality in both 1Password for macOS, and the scanning in 1Password in the browser, as pictured here?

Let me know, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• iWoodsman
    iWoodsman
    Community Member
    Options

It was a false alarm, the problem was not with 1Password. Both the app and the browser plugins for Safari and Firefox were failing to detect a QR code that was present on the screen, but it was probably because the QR code contained incomprehensible information: the code was just for downloading a Synology authenticator app. After obtaining that app, the site displayed the real QR code for 2FA and 1Password correctly found it. So for anyone finding this in the far future, in at least this case, if 1Password encounters a QR code that isn’t recognized as useful, it won’t report the issue beyond saying it didn’t find a code. Like flatly reporting it did not find an elephant in your bedroom and not mentioning that there is however a large tiger in there.

• Thank you for this, @iWoodsman. We appreciate you letting us know what happened here.

• As this was during a much earlier beta I am going to close this discussion.

This discussion has been closed.