Reduce 1Password security and associate logins with applications on iOS

Options
Matty279
Matty279
Community Member

With 1Password for Windows, I removed the session lock so that I don't have to keep entering my password when I close an RDP session or if the machine goes to lock screen.

Can password or PIN security be reduced in a similar way on iOS so that I don't have to enter my password or PIN every time I request a password from a website or app?

Also is there a way of associating 1Password logins with a selected application? Usually when requesting a password from an application, it just takes you to the very top of the login list and you have to either scroll down or search to find the correct login. It would be much more efficient if logins could be associated with applications so that a login appears at the top of the list when 1Password is invoked from an associated application.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: 7.9.3
OS Version: iOS

Comments

• Hello @Matty279! 👋

The best way to avoid having to enter your account password repeatedly when using 1Password on iOS is to enable Touch ID / Face ID. When you enable biometric unlock you can unlock 1Password and fill/save your logins by just using your fingerprint or face instead of having to type in your account password. Here are some guides that will show you how to enable Touch ID / Face ID:

Also is there a way of associating 1Password logins with a selected application? Usually when requesting a password from an application, it just takes you to the very top of the login list and you have to either scroll down or search to find the correct login.

On iOS it's not 1Password filling your passwords into Safari and other apps but an Apple technology called iOS Password AutoFill. When app developers publish their app in Apple's App Store they're asked to also include an associated domain with their app and Password AutoFill uses this to match the app to your login item for that app inside of 1Password by looking for the same website URL.

When you try to fill a login into an app and you don't see the correct Login item being suggested from 1Password then do you see a button labeled Create login? If you do then underneath the button should be a website URL, this is the associated domain for that app. Take that website URL and add it to your Login item in 1Password. Going forward the Login item will be suggested when you sign-in to that app.

Let me know if that helps. :)

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I can see the Create Login button but there is no URL beneath it. If I click on the button, I can see a list of common logins with associated URL’s but there is no login for the application that is not matching. I sometimes logon to the web interface for that application using the URL that I have saved against the login so I know it’s correct. However, it does not match to the iOS application. Is there some other way that I can determine the URL that Password Autofill requires to match the application?

• Ben
    Options

I'm afraid it is possible that the app in question does not have an Associated Domain, and if that is the case then no automatic matching will be possible. This would be something the app developer would need to improve. If you'd like to reach out to them, it may be helpful to share this documentation:

Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

Ben

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

I wonder whether it might be possible to add a feature to 1Password for iOS to allow for associating logins with specific applications.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2022
    Options

@Matty279

Not beyond the Associated Domains feature that already exists, no. That is the only context Password AutoFill shares that identifies the source app.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.