Family plan problem: can't get Chrome extension to work for my wife and me separatelty

damionstodola
damionstodola
Community Member

Hi - Have tried searching and fiddling to no avail. (Only looking for definitive answers please.) I signed up for the 1Password Family Plan. Our problem is when using our Mac desktop, which we both use, and the Chrome browser. My wife and I each have separate Chrome profiles. However, I can't figure out how to set up the 1Password Chrome Extension in her profile separately from mine. Meaning: regardless which profile is being used in Chrome (hers or mine), the 1Password extension is only signed in to my 1Password vault, which is not what we want. She wants her private vault and I want mine. Is there a solution to this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• damionstodola
    damionstodola
    Community Member

Still struggling but it really seems to me that if you use one desktop computer, 1Password will not allow multiple "users" on the Family Account (like me, my wife, kids) to use the 1password app or Chrome Extension without logging in as the master account, which completely defeats the purpose of having a family plan if the family uses the same computer.

• Hello @damionstodola! 👋

I'm sorry for the frustration, I understand that you and your wife have separate 1Password accounts in a 1Password Families membership but you're sharing the same Mac. You're right that the 1Password for Mac app is designed to be used by only one family member at a time. Is there a reason why you and your wife aren't using separate Mac user profiles? Using your own Mac user profiles would help you use the same Mac while keeping your files and workflows separate.

That being said you can use 1Password in the browser in separate Chrome profiles as long as you turn off integration with the 1Password for Mac app for the family member who is not signed in to the 1Password for Mac app. Here's how to do so:

1. Open Chrome.
    2. Open the user's Chrome profile.
    3. Right-click on the 1Password icon.
    4. Click Settings.
    5. Scroll down and turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".

You might then need to remove all 1Password accounts from 1Password in the browser and then add that family member's account back. That family member will be unable to unlock 1Password in the browser using Touch ID since that relies on the integration with the 1Password app. Let me know if that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.