Unlock 1Password with ⇧⌘X

Options
Bathrobe
Bathrobe
Community Member
edited February 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

When choosing a new password for my VPN, 1Password wanted me to unlock 1Password by pressing ⇧⌘X.

This has never happened before, and I can't even figure out how to input these. (Where is ⇧ on my keyboard?)

So I managed to log into 1Password by opening the app and using a fingerprint.

But when I tried to update the password for my VPN, 1Password suggested a new and different password when confirming the password. So the passwords did not match. Since the VPN required a special character, I added @ to the password and copied it, but still when I confirmed the password they did not match.

I am at my wit's end how to use 1Password. Everything I do it throws up barriers. What should I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Referrer: forum-search:Unlock

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Bathrobe, sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced. Just to check, do you normally use the 1Password for Mac app? Did you get the message to unlock 1Password even though the 1Password app was opened?

The shortcut ⇧⌘X refers to Shift+Command+X. However, you would only be asked to unlock the extension with this shortcut if the shared lock state feature for the app and extension is turned off. Do you remember turning this off from your Extension settings?

As for the new confirmation password, I can take a closer look. Could you point me to the site and steps you took to update your password for your VPN? Once I get those details, I'll be able to investigate further.

• Bathrobe
    Bathrobe
    Community Member
    Options

I will tell you the story from the start.

One day I found my computer was unable to connect to the Internet because of a problem/error connecting to the proxy server (I can't find the actual error message now). I did a Sophos scan, then a couple of safe boots but the problem was unresolved. Eventually I disabled all proxies from the Mac's System Preferences. I was now able to connect to the Internet but could not connect to my VPN (Astrill).

Astrill told me to uninstall Astrill, then download and reinstall it, and also to uninstall Sophos as it was probably causing the problem. This involved another restart.

When I tried to start up the reinstalled Astrill, I found that my computer didn't know the password (I really don't know why it suddenly forgot). I decided to use 1password to set a new password. That's when I was asked to unlock 1password with ⇧⌘X. (It only occurred to me much later that ⇧ was the shift key). As I said, I managed to start up 1password by opening it and using my fingerprint. But when I asked 1password to set a password for Astrill, I found that it assigned a separate new password for each stage, that is when setting the password and when confirming the password. This meant that I was unable to get 1password to set a new password for Astrill, because obviously the confirmation stage should simply confirm the password and not attempt to assign a new one.

I am afraid that this accumulation of issues (failure of Internet access, inability to access VPN, need to delete/reinstall software, set a new password, need to unlock 1password with a cryptic combination of keys, and inability to set a password with 1password) would be enough to send anyone into paroxysms of frustration.

At any rate, the only remaining issue is why 1password could not set a password for Astrill.

• Bathrobe
    Bathrobe
    Community Member
    Options

BTW: I have never touched the Extension settings, and 1password does not appear in those settings.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hey @Bathrobe, thanks for providing these details. Indeed, it does sound like 1Password has an issue with the new password and confirm password fields on the Astrill site. Just to check, is the site in question found at https://www.astrill.com?

We'd love if you could share the page structure from the site's password change form with us:

1. Navigate to the site and sign in.
    2. Go to the change password page with the new password field.
    3. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    4. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    • 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    1. Go to the next page with the confirm password field.
    2. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    • 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    1. Share the contents of .json files in your next reply.

If you prefer, you can send us the .json files directly at support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

When doing this, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. You can post that number here, and I will check on it :)

• Bathrobe
    Bathrobe
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. May be a day or two.

This discussion has been closed.