When I update a Password it doesn't change in all Tags and I get multiple entries?

Options
emerson7
emerson7
Community Member

I may have 2 tags and when I make a PW change it only shows up once also it does not change if PW is also shared. So I often get the PW is wrong.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:When I update a Password it doesn't change in all Tags must be doing something wrong.

Comments

• Hi @emerson7, thanks for noting this.

Could you tell me a little more about this issue? I'd like to make sure I understand all aspects of it going forward.

I may have 2 tags and when I make a PW change it only shows up once

If I understand correctly, does this mean that when you change a password that has two tags, the new password only has one tag?

Is it correct to say that the item itself doesn't always appear to update, as well?

Thanks for helping us understand what you've encountered - we'll look forward to sorting this out for you!

• emerson7
    emerson7
    Community Member
    Options

Yes if I have a login posted in two tags and I change PW's it seems to only change in one. I have been going thru and deleting what appears to be two logins when I look at All Items, I am hoping this helps. Are 1 Password PW's sync'd also in the Browser? When I look in Edge setting my PW's seem to be there also, I just tried to delete a PW from Edge settings and it looks like it deleted it in 1 PW. To me it seems like I have PW's in two locations.

• Hi @emerson7:

It sounds like you might have multiple duplicate items. Taking the action of cleaning up your duplicates in All Items is definitely the right play here! Your 1Password items would be available in your browser if you've installed 1Password for Edge.

Jack

• emerson7
    emerson7
    Community Member
    Options

There is too much interference with 1Password and other systems trying to suggest PW's. Sometimes 1 PW will suggest but not always, this is taking too much time as can not find where different PW's are coming from. Can I turn off 1 Password without deleting it and will try paper for a while?

• Hi @emerson7, I'm sorry to hear about this.

One reason for conflicting password suggestions might be that your browsers are trying to suggest passwords. We typically recommend disabling those built-in password managers, so that 1Password can offer suggestions and fill passwords for you unimpeded. That way, you know that if something pops up on your screen suggesting a password for a new account you're creating, you can be confident it came from 1Password.

You can find details on how to turn off browser password managers for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge at our guide here.

Of course, if you do want to try disabling 1Password for a bit, that's of course your right (and you can do that without deleting your data).

Importantly, I should mention that the browser extension (known as 1Password for your browser) is the thing that suggests and fills passwords. What I'll describe next is how to disable that in Chrome, without uninstalling the app entirely. This will stop password suggestions from 1Password but won't delete any existing items you have stored in the app. If you'd like to try this, here's what to do:

1. Open Chrome as you normally would
    2. In the URL bar (where you usually type in website addresses), type this and press Enter: chrome://extensions/
    3. Under 1Password - Password Manager, flip the slider to the "off" setting.

We of course hope that you do choose to stick with 1Password, and are happy to make sure the app is working for you and that you feel at home with the product . I hope to hear back from you!

• emerson7
    emerson7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I think that was the issue, browsers were trying to suggest passwords and seemed to override 1 Password and I was ending up with multiple passwords.
    I have 1 Password for Families with an annual payment, on the YouTube videos they talk about 1 Password 7 and 8, is this the version I have or do I need to do something to upgrade? (My version is 2.2.3)
    Thanks for your support.

• Blake
    edited February 2022
    Options

I'm happy to hear that was the issue! Are things working properly now? 😄

I have 1 Password for Families with an annual payment, on the YouTube videos they talk about 1 Password 7 and 8, is this the version I have or do I need to do something to upgrade? (My version is 2.2.3)

2.2.3 is the latest available version of 1Password in your Browser, while 1Password 8 is the latest version of 1Password for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.