Unhappy with new version, especially autofill

Options
eschmith
eschmith
Community Member
edited February 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I've used 1Password off and on for a few years. The latest redesign, for me, is pretty bad. In particular, autofill related things like:

1. It does not seem to use any AI to link the webite you are on to existing entries (example: if I'm on Netflix.com and there is a Netflix entry without a URL) it should suggest it automatically

2. Some records have "Auto Fill" button and some don't. EVERY record with a username and password field should offer it

3. 1password icons show up in a zillion web fields where I don't want them, and worse interfere with my viewing/typing information. I've used other form filling apps before, and this implementation is TERRIBLE

A password manager has to not get in one's way to be helpful, and I'm about to dump 1Password for something else if it's not improved; there are too many other options that I think will work better.

BTW I use this for some and work and want to tell my IT group to find another manager.

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: Win 10
Referrer: forum-search:autofill

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @eschmith, thanks for sharing your experience and for the detailed feedback. We do want to improve 1Password, and all feedback is sincerely appreciated. I'll reply to each of your points below:

It does not seem to use any AI to link the webite you are on to existing entries (example: if I'm on Netflix.com and there is a Netflix entry without a URL) it should suggest it automatically

There is indeed a New Item menu in 1Password 8 that does this. While the New Item feature still has some way to go, the concept that you've described is indeed the direction that we want to go in. Hopefully we will have this fleshed out in the future.

Some records have "Auto Fill" button and some don't. EVERY record with a username and password field should offer it

Could you provide an example of an item that has a username/password field and that cannot be filled? If you can share a screenshot, that would also be great.

1password icons show up in a zillion web fields where I don't want them, and worse interfere with my viewing/typing information. I've used other form filling apps before, and this implementation is TERRIBLE

It sounds like you're talking about the 1Password extension's inline menu. If the inline menu pops up in a place where it should not, please let us know which site you're seeing this on so that we can report it to our developers.

However, if the inline menu shows up correctly but interferes with your normal workflow, it can be dismissed with the following actions:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to take things a step further and disable the inline menu from automatically appearing, this can be done by going into the extension's settings page. Here are the steps for that:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

To completely remove the 1Password icon in your login fields on all sites:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off "Offer to save and fill passwords".

I hope this helps for now. Let us know about the item you mentioned in your second point. We hope to hear from you again.

This discussion has been closed.