1Password and gnome-keyring for 2FA saving on Archlinux

Options
kinghrothgar
kinghrothgar
Community Member

I am attempting to get 1Password to use gnome-keyring to save 2FA creds. I am running Archlinux with a stripped down i3 WM. I have setup gnome-keyring though in accordance with the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring#Using_the_keyring. Despite this, I get this error when I launch it from a terminal:

This log is output on start
WARN 2022-02-25T22:27:13.179 op_executor:invocation_loop(ThreadId(13)) [1P:foundation/op-linux/src/kernel_keyring.rs:816] failed to initialize keyring helper, its functionality will be unavailable: Io(Error { kind: UnexpectedEof, message: "failed to fill whole buffer" })

Before setting up gnome-keyring I got a lot more and different errors concerning keyring, so setting up gnome-keyring did do something. Despite this it still does not work. After logging in and entering 2FA I get this in the 1Password GUI:

1Password was unable to save your two-factor token

How can I debug this further?

1Password Version: 8.5.0-121
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux 5.16.11-arch1-1

Comments

• Hi @kinghrothgar, sorry to hear about the keyring troubles. We'll be happy to help kickstart the troubleshooting process here. In order to do that, I'll ask you to send us a brief email at support+linux@1Password.com (and include a link to this thread so we know it's you) 👍. It would also be great to have some logs from your 1Password app so we can narrow down the specifics. Here's how you can get us that info!

How to Send Us Logs from 1Password for Linux

1. Open your terminal.
    2. Type cd ~/.config/1Password; ls into your terminal and hit Enter. You should now be in 1Password's config directory.
    3. Enter zip -r 1Passwordlogs.zip logs; ls.

Then, attach those zipped logs to your email to us. When we receive it, we'll go through the data and let you know what we find!

Thank you, and I look forward to helping you sort out this keyring issue and get 1Password fully up and running (and I think gnome-keyring was likely a good move to start, FWIW).

• smgt
    smgt
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same setup as you kinghrothgar (Arch + i3). I also installed the gnome-keyring to use it with 2fa in 1Password. Two things that I had to do. First is to configure the PAM parts. Then I had to create a keyring and select it as default. I used Seahorse (pacman -S seahorse) to achieve this.

• Thank you for this, @smgt! We appreciate the contribution. 🙌

This discussion has been closed.