View item history not showing last change

I'm using 1Password on the web and just edited a login to update a password. I copied in a new password into the existing password field and saved it.

When I click the view item history button it doesn't show this change and i'm not able to see the previous password which i've been able to do previously. I can still item history for older entries, just not the latest one.

Does it take a while for this to show up or is there a bug here?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @reck thanks for reaching out. If you used the password generator in the extension and copied the new password to your site, it should appear in the password generator's history. Just to confirm, did you use the password generator from the extension in your browser? If you lock/unlock the extension, click to open the password generator, and view its history, does the password you created show up?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I didn’t use the password generator but any changes to an item should be in the item history right?

I’ve always been able to go into a login and see previous passwords and I don’t think I’ve always used the password generator.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@reck Gotcha. If you make a change to the login via 1Password.com, you should indeed be able to view its history. Could you sign out of 1Password.com and sign back into it? After that, please look for the login and make sure to click View Item History (you're probably already doing that, I just want to make sure View Sharing History isn't selected).

If the previous password does not appear, could you double check the login, reveal the password, and make sure that it has been changed? It's possible that the change didn't go through, possibly because of a site hiccup. However, please take a look and let us know what you find. We can then dig deeper if needed!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Hi, if I click reveal it does show the new password that I changed it to on Monday 28th Feb and the last modified date also shows that it was changed on the 28th. .

When I click the view item history button I don’t see an entry for the 28th Feb but I do see older entries from the 4th Feb and November 2021 so it was working ok earlier in the month at least.

This is for a secure note by the way, not a login.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @reck thanks for the info. So your most recent password (the one in the note right now) would have been created on 2/28 and that's what the last modified date refers to. To see what your previous password was, you would have to click the View History button and then select the entry from 2/4. Your previous password was active from 2/4 - 2/28 (until it was modified).

Does that help? If you have any other questions, let us know!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Yes I think that will do it thanks. I was expecting a new snapshot to to be created on the day it was made. So when I made a change on the 28th I expected a snapshot to appear for it but it looks like it works by showing the previous snapshot date.

• On behalf of Joy, you're very welcome @reck! 😀 Be sure to get in touch if you need anything in the future.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.