Update Existing Password

Options

Comments

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I checked my 1Password Preferences -- I only have one vault ("Personal"). A website forced me to change my password. I did. Neither Safari nor Firefox updated the password. I have to copy and paste from the 1Password app.

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I made the mistake of choosing "Update existing?" on the browser pop-up, which I learned long ago not to do because it messes things up. It did today -- I discovered that instead of updating my existing password it created an entirely new login for the same site. That's what it has always done and why I stopped using it long ago. I had to figure out which password was the correct for the updated site and then archive the other one.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @iMacIIuser looking at the previous thread, it looks like the issue was with changing the Account Password to the user's 1Password account. However, it sounds like you ran into some issues with changing a password for an existing login for a site that you use. Is that correct?

If so, could you tell us what steps you took to change that password? Do you regularly run into this issue? If so, please do let us know more details, and we will help further.

• iMacIIuser
    iMacIIuser
    Community Member
    Options

That is correct, but I can't remember now what I did. If I need to change another one, I'll try to pay careful attention to the steps. I do regularly run into "Update Existing Password" creating a mess, which is why I stopped using it long ago. I finally decided to use it again, and it made a mess -- created a new password instead. Normally I do cancel/no on the "update existing password?" question and update in the 1Password app to avoid these issues.

• We'll keep an eye out for your steps @iMacIIuser! 😀

Just so you know, 1Password in Firefox will allow you to choose whether to make a new item, or update an existing one by clicking the dropdown as seen here:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.