Make 1Password automatically ask to save password after login is done

Options
laurentiuonac
laurentiuonac
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello guys,

I know this used to worked on Safari at least, but I would like to have the ability for 1Password to automatically ask me to save a password when I enter login details on a page (that are not already present in 1Password). As in saving to 1Password after I successfully login, not the popup that says Save to 1Password before I actually see if the entered data is valid. Hope my explanation makes sense.

Keep up the awesome work ;),
Laurentiu

1Password Version: 8.6.0 (80600051)
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: macOS 12.3 Beta

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @laurentiuonac !

There are already some feature requests for such a popup. Actually, there is only the autofill menu on field focus for saving your credentials.

I also would like to have a popup that appears after successfully log into a website, so you know that the credentials are working. I remember such a popup in the 1Password classic extension. Such a popup would be great. πŸ‘

• Hey @laurentiuonac:

Thanks for your feedback! As @DenalB noted (thanks for the assist! 😎), currently the Save in 1Password button would be your best bet, but we're always exploring additional improvements to 1Password.

Jack

• laurentiuonac
    laurentiuonac
    Community Member
    Options

Is this on the roadmap, or is it currently backlogged? Thanks for the replies!

• Ben
    Options

To my knowledge it isn't something we're planning but we're happy to continue to gather feedback to pass to our product team.

Ben

• DenisXBT
    DenisXBT
    Community Member
    Options

Definitely a feature I'd love. I've actually just switched from LastPass to 1P, they already have this feature and it was pretty dope and felt natural.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

That's part of the most fragile workflow I found in 1Password. If you're asked to save an entry before you submit the web form, a password might be saved that is refused by the website if you actually submit. So 1Password will save a password that's not actually valid for the web service.

This is especially bad, if you don't login but do a password change. And even worse if it's a 1st login to a new account and you're required to change the password unconditionally and the website asks the current password over and over again until you finally choose one that is accepted according to the password policy. You know, some sites have weird password policy where you need multiple tries to get a password accepted. In these cases, the valid password is long overwritten by several tries for a new password and you need to grab it from deep within the password history every time. It's not happening often, but I encountered this more than only once and it made me really furious.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

For testing purposes there is already such a popup, like @Jack.P_1P wrote in this discussion:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/631654/#Comment_631654

But it looks like it could take a while to bring this popup into the beta or stable release. πŸ˜ͺ

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey all! I just wanted to provide some context. The prompt to save in 1Password does appear after a form is submitted via the classic and Safari extensions. However, we moved away from it in the new extension because we've found that being prompted to save your login before submitting the form is the best way to prevent data loss (this can happen if the form is not submitted successfully). If the new password is not accepted on your site, you can re-generate a new password and save it. That way the your password never gets lost.

I do understand that getting stuck in a cycle where a site rejects the password you're entering is a bit cumbersome @Tertius3. That said, 1Password should be making suggestions that fall within a site's requirements, and if that's not happening, it is something that should be changed on our end. If you get the rejected password suggested via 1Password's inline menu, please let us know what site this is on so that we can report it to our developers.

In the meantime, it's possible to customize the parameters for a new password from the extension's password generator. To get to the password generator, open and unlock 1Password from your browser. Click on the key icon to open the Password Generator. Make sure to next select "Random Password" next to Type. Here's a screenshot of this:Β https://cln.sh/9wfNJa

After selecting that, you can then customize the desired length for your password. Simply enable "numbers" or "symbols" if your site requires those options. As a note, if you wish to use this password template going forward, you can turn on "Use as default for Suggestions".

We are always trying to improve 1Password, so we do take all your feedback very seriously. Hopefully, if we do make a change in the future, it will be something that makes it easier to save logins as well as makes it more secure so that data does not get lost.

I appreciate all your patience. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P I'm sorry to disagree, but saving an entry before its data is actually applied on the website is conceptually wrong. All this is a synchronization problem between 2 database tables: one on the website and one in 1Password. The concept of a database is to have valid data all the time, never store invalid data. So if there must be 2 independent updates that have to be applied either both or none at all, there has to be a transaction opened that can roll back the incomplete parts if necessary, and there has to be a commit operation that finalizes the transaction.
    The website cannot trigger the commit, because it doesn't know about the other party. So 1Password has to keep entered credential data, then commit. And a commit can only take place, if both operations were done successfully. This can only be after the website accepted the (new) password, never before.
    If it can happen that a password submission isn't successful, so 1Password cannot detect if the website accepted the password, the problem is on the website part. In this case, the transaction is still pending and 1Password has to still keep the entered credential data and ask the user the next possible moment (when the user starts to navigate on the website) if the data should be commited to some entry or thrown away.
    As far as I remember, the Chrome password manager for example keeps this temporary data in a notification as long as the user doesn't decide to save or refuse saving.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to disagree, but saving an entry before its data is actually applied on the website is conceptually wrong.

πŸ‘

we moved away from it in the new extension because we've found that being prompted to save your login before submitting the form is the best way to prevent data loss

I wanted to move my sister and her family from LastPass to 1Password, but this behavior was the reason that I had no success. πŸ˜•

For me, it makes no sense to save credentials before sending them to the website. That's also one reason I tried to use the classic extension as long as possible. But I switched to 1Password in the browser, and this is a thing I really miss in the new extension. And I hope that you reconsider this strange behavior. I tried a lot of other password managers and I can't even remember this behavior in one of them... πŸ€”

• @Tertius3 & @DenalB

You're absolutely right. This has been a much sought-after feature since we've released the new version of 1Password for your browser. I definitely understand your passion for this, and the benefit to your workflow when signing into sites for the first time. While I can't speak to when we'll be able to see autosave brought to 1Password in the browser, I can assure you that this is one is on the roadmap for a future release.

In the meantime, if it's imperative that 1Password offers to autosave after submitting, the 1Password classic extension would be best solution in the interim. Again, apologies for the disruption to your workflow here.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#272

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

No, the current behavior is not that bad that I would use the clearly inferior classic extension. It's a flaw and sometimes an annoyance, but nothing more. It only bothers me, because it's a thing that wasn't done right in my opinion, while so many other really difficult things were done right.

• dbland
    dbland
    Community Member
    Options

I use LastPass for work and recently got 1P for some personal stuff and I must say that this behavior of 1P's is bizarre and frankly makes me question using 1P for personal. I have 35 years of experience in IT and the Tertius3 is exactly correct, the idea of saving replacing the old, working password with a new, password that is not validated yet is simply nuts.

• Ryon
    Ryon
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my voice here that I would love that behaviour back! Is there already an ETA when it will be released (or tested in a beta)?

• Hi @dbland / @Ryon:

We generally keep things pretty close to the chest, so while it's on the roadmap as Chantelle mentioned, we don't have anything further to share at this time.

Thanks for your feedback, and feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

• dbland
    dbland
    Community Member
    Options

I want to mention my experience with this design feature. I recently had to set up LastPass at work and 1P for my own personal and in both cases the first thing I had to do was change all my existing passwords to make them stronger. In LastPass this was simplicity itself and NEVER ONCE had a data-inconsistency where it was saved on the website but not in LastPass.

Contrast that with 1P where I would say 15-20% of the time the password is saved in 1P and then rejected by the website. And this turns into a HUGE time suck because I then need to manually generate a strong password (and do you know that there is no option in the browser extension to generate a password on the fly, manually - unlike LastPass, I have to add). And then follows many, many aggravating button clicks to get where I can revert the login instance in 1P back to the correct password. I cannot tell you how infuriating this is.

This discussion has been closed.