Chrome Version 100.0.4896.30 (Official Build) beta won't verify

Options
MrPunkin
MrPunkin
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm using the beta channel of Google Chrome and an update that came through during a Chrome restart today (seems it was made available yesterday) broke 1Password. I am constantly getting the message that 1Password can't verify the browser. I've quit 1Password completely, quit Chrome completely, rebooted computer numerous times, etc. Nothing is helping.

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 2.3.0
OS Version: MacOS 12.2.1

Comments

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

I can confirm this. Same issue here. 1P keeps assuming that Chrome has an update available (which, it doesn't). Hence the extension won't auto-unlock or integrate with 1P Desktop.

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, excactly

• Hey @MrPunkin and @cryptochrome:

Thanks for reporting this! We're actively aware of this (Chrome's code signing certificate recently changed in beta / canary releases) and are working to resolve this with an update to 1Password 7 for Mac. In the meantime, 1Password should still be able to communicate with Chrome stable releases. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P. I work in web-dev and won't be rolling back to Stable Chrome anytime soon. Here's hoping the beta channel of either 1Password 7 or the Chrome extension gets updated soon and there's minimal copying/pasting of logins. Thanks for the update though, glad to know the team is aware of it.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

If it's just a changed certificate, it's probably an easy fix. For those of you who don't want to roll back to Chrome stable: You can still unlock 1P in the browser manually (enter master phrase) and then it works without issues. Might want to disable automatic logout in the extension settings if you don't want to have to keep unlocking it every couple of minutes.

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

@cryptochrome According to the beta release log for Chrome it looks like they changed the signing process for user profiles in the March 10th release. I think the 1Password team probably has a bit of work to do to match the new system.

• Hey @MrPunkin:

Thanks for following up! Keep an eye out for updates to 1Password for Mac, as that is where the fix will be made! 😀

Jack

• Hey @MrPunkin / @cryptochrome:

Thanks for your patience on this! 1Password for Mac version 7.9.3 is now available, which includes the fix for the updated certificate. Check for updates and let me know how it goes for you both: How to keep 1Password up to date

Jack

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @""Jack.P_1P" - I can confirm the integration between 1P Desktop and 1P Browser is working again. Thanks for the quick fix!

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

Yep I can confirm this is working again. Thank you!

• Glad to hear @MrPunkin!

Jack

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Mac Chrome "Chrome is up to date Version 99.0.4844.74 (Official Build) (x86_64)" and 1Password extension "1Password 7 Version 7.9.3 (70903003) 1Password Store" gives me the "Chrome has an update error". What can I do to fix?

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

That’s the same extension I use as well and it’s working with the updated app for me.

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is broken on Chrome (as described above) and also on Safari 15.4. The 1Pw lock icon appears in form fields. Clicking on "Unlock 1Password" does nothing (same for clicking on the 1Pw icon in the Safari Toolbar.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for all of your questions!

@tyrion2016:

Does restarting the 1Password Extension Helper improve your state of play? (Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password Extension Helper) Let me know, and if that doesn't work I can dig in further with you!

@Philipp238:

To confirm, are you using 1Password 7, or 1Password 6? If you're using 1Password 7, and have updated to version 7.9.3 or later, follow the steps I provided above to restart the 1Password Extension Helper, and let me know if that improves your state of play!

Jack

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P Yes, that fixed it! Thank you.

Another question: which of these extensions do I need?

• Hey @tyrion2016:

Glad to hear that sorted it out! The extension on the left in your screenshot is the 1Password classic extension. It integrates directly with the 1Password app, and supports standalone vaults. The extension on the right is our newer 1Password in the browser extension. This extension can operate both independently, or unlock and lock with the 1Password desktop app, and has features like our Masked Email integration, but only supports 1Password.com vaults.

Jack

• dfresearch
    dfresearch
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still seeing the issue with 1password 6 and classic extension and the "stable" non-beta version of Chrome. Is there a fix forthcoming or am I missing something to make it all work?

• MrPunkin
    MrPunkin
    Community Member
    Options

@dfresearch I believe Jack split off another thread from this one where they said 1Password 6 is no longer getting updates or active support. I believe you are out of luck without upgrading.

• dfresearch
    dfresearch
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh another subscription? Bummer.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfresearch Sorry about this. However, we are happy to offer you a special promotion if you're interested in a membership. Please let us know!

• dfresearch
    dfresearch
    Community Member
    Options

I'd be interested in your offer. Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfresearch Great! In that case, please reach out to us at support+tradein@1password.com to discuss this further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here so that I can locate your email. Then we can chat from there.

• d42ohpaz
    d42ohpaz
    Community Member
    Options

Since you're no longer offering stand-alone licenses for 1P 7, and you've let 1P 6 just die out due to changes in Chrome, you've lost a loyal customer. I will not be extorted into a subscription service. That is unethical of you to allow this to happen, and I am very disappointed. At the very least, you should release a fix for 1P 6 so the browser extension continues to work. I use to extol your services for years, and now I regret that.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think it is well understood that lifetime "license" does not mean lifetime support and product updates. No company could sustain that model.

At some point, a product's life ends, and sometimes that end is accelerated by external forces. It is the nature of the more complex inter-relationships of modern software.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @d42ohpaz I was able to delete your two comments as requested. I also want to say that I'm sincerely sorry to see you go. Although we're doing away with licenses, we are still committed to creating a great and secure product. We do our absolute best to make our subscriptions worth the investment. If you change your mind about getting a subscription in the future, please let us know. Our door will always be open.

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this exact problem, but I'm on 1Password 7.9.4-BETA-0 and the latest version of the Chrome plugin... how long will it be before there's a 7.9.4 beta available that has the fix?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dmz! You should have the fix for this in 1Password 7.9.4-BETA-0. Are you still getting a message that your browser cannot be verified? Can you try completely closing the app + the browser, restarting your computer, and then testing the extension out once more? Please let me know how that goes.

• dmz
    dmz
    Community Member
    Options

I have done this, on multiple machines, and it hasn’t changed anything.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmz Thanks for following up. To figure out what could be going on here, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.