I'm able to log into One Password online but not locally on my MacBook Air. Why?

Options
bwelch
bwelch
Community Member

I have 1Password for Families. My daughter is new to 1Password, I helped her install it on her MacBook Air. Initially she was able to add logins successfully. Then she changed her master password. She's able to log in to 1Password via Safari BUT she is unable to log in from the desktop app using the same master password.

When we launch One Password online it asks us to install One Password locally (even though 1Password7.app is already installed). Do we re-install again? If so, in doing so will we over write any existing passwords or data? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Bob

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9.3 (70903003) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3 Monterey
Referrer: forum-search:Can log into one password online but not from mac

Comments

• Hello @bwelch! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is unable to unlock the 1Password for Mac app after changing her account password. Can you tell me if she's able to unlock the app using her old account password? If she can then can you check to see if there is a "Primary" vault in the app? You can check for a Primary vault on her Macbook by doing the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on the Vaults option in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
    3. Click on Switch to Vault.
    4. Do you see a Primary vault listed?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• bwelch
    bwelch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave_1P,

The problem seems to have resolved itself! I just attempted to login with her old password and it failed. Then I tried logging in with her new password, locally on her MacBook Air, and via the web with Safari and success!

On this Family version 7.9.3 (70903003) there is no "Primary Vault" listed, just Private and Shared.

Thanks for reaching out to me. You guys rock!

Bob

• bwelch
    bwelch
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave,

I thought we were out of the woods but my daughter isn't able to log into 1Password from her iPhone 11 (iOS 15.4). We removed 1Password from her phone and re-installed it.

From the Welcome to 1Password 7 screen, under Already using 1Password, she taps on 1Password. This takes her to a screen which says We found 1 account (my Family Account) or Add another account. She selects the Family Account and is asked to enter Master Password. I'm assuming this is HER master password (since this is her iPhone) correct? Each attempted login has been unsuccessful resulting in this error: "A problem with your sign in." Please check your Master Password or sign in manually with details from your Emergency Kit or a signed in device. I'm not sure what else to do other than log in with her password.

Please advise next steps.

Thanks,

Bob

• Hey @bwelch:

Just to confirm, is the email address shown there her email address? 1Password securely saves some account details (sign in address, email address, and Secret Key) to iCloud Keychain, allowing for easy setup of a new iCloud device. We've spoken a bit about the secret of this functionality here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/373216/#Comment_373216

If it is her email address, or perhaps yours (maybe you signed in on one of her Apple devices to get things going), tapping "Add other account" and scanning the Emergency Kit set up code, or manually entering in the information from her Emergency Kit should allow her to start fresh, and verify that all of the sign in details are accurate and matching what's shown on her Emergency Kit, or another device she's signed in to. Let me know how you (and her) get on with that!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.