Support community user id

Options
fortilan
fortilan
Community Member

Hi, I recently signed up for the 1Password Support Community, setting up a new user id. To my surprise the user id I tried first (just my name without spaces) was already in use... no problem, I must already have a support user id but it does not show up in my 1Password vault. Maybe I never captured it? so I tried recovering it, using my normal email (from Apple) but the support community had no record of that email address.

I suppose it could be a fluke that someone else happens to be using that same user id but I was thinking that my 1Password user name is registered somehow to the support community to prevent people using the same credentials as 1Password (there is a warning that the support community is separate and you should not use your 1Password credentials i.e. use a different password)?

Anyway, I had to use a completely different user id... just wondering if this is normal? I would have preferred to user the same user name as for 1Password but a different (generated) password.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @fortilan

With nearly 204,000 registered users, it seems likely that someone else here could have the same first name as you. 1Password.community accounts are entirely independent of 1Password memberships, and we do not register anyone for 1Password.community automatically.

I hope that provides some helpful context! 🙂

Ben

• fortilan
    fortilan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for your reply.

I can understand that someone else might have the same first name but the user id I was trying is a combination of my first and last names i.e. glenncogar and this appears to be an exact match. I guess the same suggestion could be true, there is another match in the 204,000 registered users.

Maybe something I wrote made it sound like I was only using my first name as my user id for 1Password but that's not correct.

If the user id I wanted to use is taken that's fine, I just thought I may have registered it previously but not recorded it.

• Ben
    Options

It wasn't your writing, but rather my reading:

the user id I tried first (just my name without spaces) was already in use

I must've read this bit too quickly, and interpreted it as you trying to register your first name as your user ID. 🙂 Sorry about that.

If the user id I wanted to use is taken that's fine, I just thought I may have registered it previously but not recorded it.

That is also a possibility. If so, the only way to recover that would be to remember which email address you used for it and use the forgot password function, or to remember the password. We're unable to give out information about accounts you cannot prove you own.

Ben

• fortilan
    fortilan
    Community Member
    Options

I normally use my Apple ID email but over the years it has changed from me.com mac.com iCloud.com so I guess I could try all of them

• Ben
    Options

Wouldn't hurt. 😊

Ben

This discussion has been closed.