Beta #11 of 2022 is now available 🎼 🤘 🎶

Options

Happy Beta Tuesday, everyone! 🤗

Today’s release gets us one step closer to officially releasing 1Password 8 for Mac. 🎉 As I mentioned in my recent newsletter, our plan is to cut a Release Candidate soon, iterate on it for a while, and with any luck launch before the Spring flowers (and my garlic!) start to bloom.

With the ground covered in snow here we still have a ways to go, but I’d like to ask you start reporting every issue or improvement you discover so we can make sure everything is ready when the time comes. Thank you!

Starting with some Mac specific highlights, Quick Access is using vibrancy effects to be even more beautiful. 😍

The item details screen now shows a lot more information when no item is selected, including a much larger vault icon, avatars for who has access to the vault, as well as the ability to manage access & sharing details.

This release also includes more auto-lock time options as requested, as well as the ability to search filenames to find file attachments and document items. Hat tip to @mdvzo and @mia for bringing these to our attention.

You can find a full set of changes in our release notes for macOS , Windows , and Linux. Or, select the What’s New item from the feedback menu within the app.

As always, thank you so much for participating in the early access release and helping us to improve 1Password. We couldn't have gotten this far without you and the releases are so much better as a direct result of you. Thank you! 🙏🏻🤗

++dave;
1Password Founder

Comments

• Also for Windows users, we've made some major improvements to our Windows Hello support with the Trusted Platform Module, it now works on AMD systems along with virtual TPMs in certain virtualization software. Give it a try (here's our guide on how to enable this support) and let us know how it works out for you.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Congrats on another beta release. Apologies for not posting any issues recently. Been a busy time.

Looking forward to a stable release (mainly to get those annoying construction tapes off my nice 1PW icon!!!)

My main feature requests (that I can remember) are:

• Being able to move fields around.
    • Wish the search would filter the main list straight away. Just feels like this would ease cognitive load massively.
  • hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome to see us getting towards a final build for Mac.. couple of things on the UX side would love to see is
    1. Show the count by category on sidebar when item is selected rather than bottom of the list.. show it for only selected item unlike all in 1Password 7 currently.
    2. any specific reason now the quick access needs 1Password to be running in background? with 1Password 7, even if I quit it quit it completely with cmd+q, it allows to run quick access. it becomes frustrating at times coz it is not running in background and quick access doesn't show up.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

Will the nightly channel continue to get updates after the release of 1PW8?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

You intend to release v8 for mac without the functionality to reorder custom fields? I would not recommend it. This is a core convenience feature available in the v7 client.

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

found 1 issue. On my phone, there is a banner popping up for the Compromised website but on 1Password 8 beta, it isn't showing up.. please check it.

• kland
    kland
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for providing some new options as noted "We’ve added 4 and 8 hour options to the “Lock after the computer is idle for” security setting." Has there been any consideration for allowing varying times by day of week, since some devices are in constant use on some days and mostly unattended on others?

• dteare
    Options

Thank you for your comments everybody. 🤗

@rctneil: I can absolutely relate on the “been a busy time” side of things. 😂

I hear you on moving fields around and you’re definitely not the only one wanting that. Regarding search and the desire to filter the list straight away, have you tried the ⌥⌘F keyboard shortcut yet? It might be exactly what you’re looking for.

It’s been great having your feedback during the beta process so I hope I can find a way to convince you to stay on betas after the official release. Perhaps we could keep the construction tape for the nightlies only and have a simpler icon for the betas. Would that be enough to entice you to stay on betas? 🙏

@hvarun87: thanks for sharing your thoughts. Showing the item count on the sidebar is something we’ve discussed a lot here in the forums already. I see where you’re coming from but for me I like keeping things as neat and tidy as possible. Your idea of only showing it for the selected row is interesting and perhaps we’ll toy with that in the future. For now at least you can find the item counts in the sort menu as well as at the bottom of item lists.

Regarding Quick Access, we need a background process running to listen for the keyboard shortcut and launch the UI when needed. This was the case in 1Password 7 as well. The difference in version 7 is we would allow you to run completely “headless”, with no menubar icon and with no Dock icon. This state can easily lead one to think 1Password isn’t running, when in actuality it is. This is a weird state and indeed I found myself in a challenging situation with another Mac app last week where I couldn’t control the app whatsoever while it was in headless mode. It left me quite confused and reminded me why we didn’t bring this option back. I know others want this as well so it remains something we’re discussing internally, but for now you’ll need to either leave the main app running (on your Dock) or on your menubar.

@tomatoshadow2: Yes, the nightly channel and the beta channels will both continue to get updates after the official launch. I suggest you use betas though as nightlies have no verification testing applied to them whatsoever and are meant primarily for internal employees and for limited external testing in special circumstances.

@Tertius3: I hear you. You’re right, reordering custom fields is important and something that we want to bring to 1Password 8 as soon as we can. If it makes it into the initial launch, great. If not, it’s okay as the initial release does not signal an end to development. We’re going to keep iterating and improving 1Password for many more years to come regardless of what does or does not make it into the first official 1Password 8 for Mac launch.

@hvarun87: thank you for reporting this issue. Could you please double check that you have Check for compromised websites enabled in Preferences > Privacy? If so, could you look at the item on your phone and then compare it to the one on Mac and see if there are any differences between them?

@kland: You’re very welcome. I hope you find the new lock options useful for your setup. As for allowing varying times depending on the day of the week, that’s an interesting idea. Assuming we’re talking about a work device here, I would expect other settings would be able to help here, such as lock on sleep and macOS locking preferences. I would prefer to keep our settings as simple as possible so hopefully one of those other options would help here.

Take care everyone, and stay safe. 🙏

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare I will of course stay on the betas. No worries about the icon. It's the smallest of things and I can live with it!

In regards to searching, what is the reasoning behind the change of functionality here between the V7 way and this? I find the v7 way intuitive but the V8 way I find laborious and non-helpful. It doesn't feel intuitive to me.

Considering the number of requests I've seen for reordering of fields, I'm confident that you guys have this in hand and fingers crossed it comes soon so I'm not too worried about that.

I used 1PW quite a bit today and did hit a few usability issues, mainly where I did some interactions with using the keyboard and then hit roadblocks where I had to switch to mouse input. There are definitely a few workflows in this regard that just don't work nicely.

And this is all based on me not knowing any special keyboard shortcuts. This is my experience with just doing what comes naturally or by instinct. Maybe there are shortcuts on the keyboard for the actions I was trying to perform, but I was attempting to use the app in the first instinct mode, which I guess is what everyone does by default.

Neil

• hvarun87
    hvarun87
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare Check for compromised websites was enabled in Preferences > Privacy. there was no difference between the phone item and the 1P 8 item.. once i changed password it was gone.

• Kakkoister2
    Kakkoister2
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare I gotcha, I enjoy the nightly updates though, so I'm good!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare like @rctneil I would really like to know and understand the reason behind the changes in search between v7 and v8. I was quite vocal about the missing sub string search but that's only one part of the problems I have with v8's search. The whole search usability and experience is non intuitive in contrast to v7's "keep it simple" approach.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare

It’s been great having your feedback during the beta process so I hope I can find a way to convince you to stay on betas after the official release. Perhaps we could keep the construction tape for the nightlies only and have a simpler icon for the betas. Would that be enough to entice you to stay on betas? 🙏

I'm using the Windows app, and I'm still using the beta. So I'll stay with that! 😉😊

• @viswiz: one of our developers, Rob, spoke to some aspects of the search question recently in a post here, in case you haven't read it yet. I hope it proves come helpful context.

And as always, @denalb and everyone else on the thread, we're so pleased that you've joined us for this Beta journey and hope to continue to learn from your experience!

This discussion has been closed.