Biometric unlock on a Chromebook?

I just bought a new Chromebook that has a fingerprint scanner for unlock. As I'm already used to using TouchID, FaceID, and Windows Hello on other platforms, I was wondering if there's a way to configure it biometric unlock on my Chromebook to unlock 1Password too.

I looked in the extension settings, and couldn't find anything there.

If it's not currently supported, please consider this a feature request.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: ChromeOS 99

Comments

• Hi @alanhoyle.

I'm sorry to let you know that there is no biometric unlock option for 1Password in the browser currently. The biometric unlock requires integrating with the 1Password desktop app. However, it is not applied to your Chromebook. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

We have an existing feature request regarding what you are looking for. I have added your voice to the list. Thank you for your valuable feedback to help us improve 1Password.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-641

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

Just to make sure I understand correctly, I just installed the 1password app on my Chromebook. I open the 1pw app on the Chromebook, go to Settings->Security and enable the Biometric Unlock toggle. However, even though I have enabled this setting, the app does not actually support biometric unlock? Or is there something more I must do to have it start working with the app?

Why is the setting even in the app if it is not supported? i.e. it does not control the value in the desktop app (as I can see they do not sync with each other.)

• Hi @robert1p,

I'm sorry about the confusion there. But correct me if I was wrong:

Chromebooks can run Android apps and Linux apps, so I'd assume you installed the 1Password desktop apps based on one of the platforms. You can certainly see the Biometric unlock option in the desktop app settings.

However, the function only works when the app is in the corresponding environment. For example, 1Password for Android's Biometric feature will work on an Android device.

Currently, no desktop app is made explicitly for Chrome OS, and I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion there.

• robert1p
    robert1p
    Community Member

On my Chromebook, I installed 1Password from the Google Play Store. The Settings->About page shows "1Password for Android Version 7.9.2". I assume there is already an open request to add support for making this app work with Chromebook Biometrics. [It is a bit confusing to install the app, see the setting, but then not be able to use it.]

• Hi @robert1p,

Thanks for confirming your 1Password app is for Android.

I apologize for the confusion there. And yes, there is an existing feature request, and I have added your voice to the list.

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-641

• nklayman
    nklayman
    Community Member

Would it be possible to allow unlocking the vault with a 2FA key? I think all Chromebooks with fingerprint scanners can emulate hardware 2FA keys. If 1Password could be unlocked with such a key, it would essentially enable fingerprint unlocking on Chromebooks (and other PCs without requiring the app).

• sibsib
    sibsib
    Community Member

Please add me to the list of people wanting this feature! I just got a Chromebook and this is a big downside vs my MacBook Pro...

• casanabria
    casanabria
    Community Member

+1

This discussion has been closed.